5.0 out of 5 stars "Now radio2 hands over to John Peel......"
Published on 21 Dec 2006 by Peter Giles

3.0 out of 5 stars Ambivolent ..
I adored this album as a student in Leeds and loved Be-Bop dearly. But I knew then and knew now that Nelson, whilst a sublime talent, could have done with some editing and some creative co-writing perhaps. Some of the songs on this album are very good indeed, but some collapse under the weight of their chopping and changing, Fair Exchange being one, Blazing Apostles...
Published on 25 Aug 2007 by Ullage

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars "Now radio2 hands over to John Peel......", 21 Dec 2006
Peter Giles (Bournemouth,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Remember the mid seventies when , at ten o'clock, Radio 1 (which was, till then on medium wave) took over FM from Radio 2,and then the Mighty John would play interesting, quality music? that was when my older brother and I(we shared the same bedroom and , therefore, radio) first heard this album in our mid-teens, in fact J.P. played all of the first side in its entirety one night and then said he would play the second side the next night. We were so totaly amazed by the quality of side one that we sat the next night poised with our state-of-the-art mono cassette recorder for the second. We were not disapointed ! the second side was, if anything , even better! the acoustic guitar intro to "Beauty secrets" still makes me feel 16 again. This is without doubt a musical gem, a classic , a lost treasure and any other cliche you want to attach to it - only they actualy apply 100%.One of the things which draws people in to the fantastic early work of the likes of Genesis, Yes, ELP or other progressive rock bands is their arrangements - is that too classical a word to use here? and again with Be Bop Deluxe you have it in spades. The thoughtful interplay (including excellent stereo separation) of vocals, keyboards, guitar and even odd background sound effects (the yawn and alarm at the beginning of "sleep that burns" for instance) all work to enhance the music brilliantly, even though some critics dismissed them as "gimicks" at the time. Buy this album and cherish it. It doesnt age....

5.0 out of 5 stars A Quality Album, 23 Jan 2007
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
This is a quality album and along with Modern Music probably in my top fifty favourite albums of all time (i've been around a few years and got quite a large collection!). I saw them live in 1977 and have treasured all their work ever since. I find them hard to categorize. Call it progressive rock if you like with shades of liquorish allsorts. Suffice to say the band members were all very accomplished musicians and created an original sound back in the seventies with amazing variety that still stands up well today. The songs are intricate yet melodic with lyrics both bizarre and astonishing. "Crying to the Sky" has a beautiful guitar solo and "Ships in the Night" I just can't get out of my head. Many commend Bill Nelson as a creative genius. The "Modern Music" album is equally as good as this with mesmerizing sound and variety (but not quite as good an album cover!) Bill Nelson was a great rock guitar player, pity he split Be-Bop up after the "Drastic Plastic" album to explore his musicality. I don't care too much for any of his later solo work.

5.0 out of 5 stars Deluxe Finish, 8 May 2007
Mr. J. Hulme (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Just to add my tuppence, I agree entirely with all the positive reviews. This is the album to get from this very good 70's group. The quality is 5 star on SunBurst Finish. The music and lyrics are intelligent, witty, powerful and so true.

"Your youth is a mask, that is not made to last"

Bill Nelson voice is at it's peak, he puts meat to the words with his inflections, nuances and pace. My favourite track, if I have to chose just one, is Life In The Air Age. I can relate or could to the hero in the song when I was younger.

The booklet is good, it has an interesting read and has all the lyrics to the album, but not including the bonus tracks though, odd? Not in my opinion as the original album was better as it finished at brilliant point. Good evening Blazing Apostiles can I help you.......

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderful, bliss...they don't do stuff like this anymore, 2 Oct 2001
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
I really ought to know better at my age than to get into a band that are no longer together and relive my formative years (I was about 13 or 14 when this album was first released). It's no good looking back - you must look forward.
Well, when I blagged a copy of Sunburst Finish from a mate at work (something to listen to whilst I was decorating one week) little did I know what was to come.
As the first bars of Fair Exchange opened I almost dropped my pasting brush. As the final track closed ("Good evening....Blazing Apostles...can I help you?") my decorating had progressed not one inch and the time had passed in the blink of an eye. How had I missed this masterpiece?
Now, four months later, I am still hooked and I know most of the words. This is potent stuff. Be Bop Deluxe were clearly ahead of their time. Within the album you will hear bits of Split Enz, Rush, Pink Floyd and others.
Listen to this if you dare...but not while decorating...if you want to finish it!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars witty lyrics, big guitar sound, escape to the future., 17 Nov 2000
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Sunburst finish marks the high point of Bill Nelson's guitar virtuosity. Blistering beautiful guitar solos and a big sound."Fair exchange" the first track is sheer dark poetry,"life in the air age" paints a musical picture of a futurist metropolis. Escape to the dark, strange world of Be-Bop deluxe.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lost classic, 13 Feb 2001
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Be Bop Deluxe were one of the great bands of their time with whom I was obsessed from the first time I heard Maid in Heaven on late night Radio 1. Sunburst Finish was their highpoint, and Blazing Apostles has to be heard to be believed. Nice know that their music is still available.

5.0 out of 5 stars Under Valued Masters of Music, 23 Jan 2003
Mr G G Reeve (Potton, Sandy, Beds United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Why the music of Be-Bop-Deluxe never made it passed the charts (beyond 'Ships in the Night')will always confuse me. The enigmatic Bill Nelson made his music his own and I was pleased to have the pleasure of getting into Be-Bop after my brother lent me his album of Sunburst Finish. I then nicked his Axe Victim L.P and was totally hooked by the sheer brilliance of Bill Nelson and the way this much underated musician could play his guitar. His music always tried to move with the times. Sunburst Finish was my introduction to real music. Unlike the dross I hear too often today.

5.0 out of 5 stars An all-time underrated band, 7 Oct 2003
Neil Tyrer (United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Be-Bop Deluxe never received the critical acclaim that they deserved. Unfortunately for them, they were always compared to other bands that were around at the time, and never considered in their own right. Sunburst Finish is a joy of an album, arguably their best, most complete album (and the fact that it includes "Crying to the sky", with one of Bill Nelson's best ever guitar solos), although if you like this you'll certainly enjoy the others (although some are still quite hard to get hold of). I also recommend "Tramcar to Tomorrow" to others who enjoy Be-Bop Deluxe - it's a great CD as well. If you haven't already been captivated by Bill Nelson's solo work, buy some of his albums and see where he's got to in the many years since BBD ceased to be - his latest, "Whimsy", is a fine cross section of his totally unappreciated creative genius.

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to the Future, 7 Mar 2001
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Sunburst Finish was one of the truly great albums of the 70's with Nelson at his best in terms of rock songwriting. He passed through many phases after this and is still going strong - check out the Permanent Flame site to find out what he is up to now - I still get a shiver down the back of my neck when I hear the opening to Ships in The Night. Amazing how a number of tracks on this LP actually hold their own today some 25 years on - Give it a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars "hoping that the clouds I'm climbing aren't hiding rain", 14 July 2009
This review is from: Sunburst Finish (Audio CD)
Celebrating the 33rd 'birthday' of a record that has been overlooked for nearly all the time of its existence can show some kind of appreciation towards it, huh?

I mean, this is BRILLIANT and I don't care whoelse did rave reviews about it before this day. WHERE WERE YOU IN 1976???????????????

From that day in early 1976 when this album reached my home I became a fan of this band and Bill Nelson's later work too (I lost him after 'Chimera' though). 'Sunburst finish' was met with (luke-)warm reviews in the UK and in continental Europe upon its release. Album and band were and are ignored in USA until today. They were and are highly regarded in Japan and not only throught he later collaborations with Riuichi Sakamoto and other japanese luminaries.

'Sunburst Finish' was filed under 'art-rock' in the UK and the band was thrown into the same bag like Bowie and Roxy Music (for the stylings) or Queen (for the sound-techniques). In these pre-punk days they sat in the middle of everything with their modernistic, though catchy songs with those colourful lyrics by Bill Nelson. Blame Bill to have followed too many fashions afterwards (with 'Sound-on-Sound' and all his later solo works) but with this album he has been right there in time, with the times and so far ahead of all the others in time.

Most basically this is a good old Rock'n'Roll record with some real nice rockers like 'Fair Exchange', 'Sleep that burns', or 'Blazing Apostles' and all of them are hymns of passion. What makes this record even greater are the softer, slow-burning, heartachematismically done ballads 'Heavenly Homes', Life in the Air-age' and the one and only 'Crying to the sky'. Lyrically and musically overwhelming and put to record with an athmosphere of 'WOW'!

'Sunburst Finish' remains Be-Bop Deluxe nonplusultra-record, they never did it that good again, only different.

Only complaint is the missing of a fully remastered original release.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Sunburst Finish
Sunburst Finish by Be Bop Deluxe (Audio CD - 1991)