Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 March 2001
"More than meets the eye" could be the tagline for the career of A-ha. Those who have recently discovered the band via the A1 cover of their most well known track, 'Take On Me', will be presently surprised at the depth of quality that the band produced through their career.
This compilation spans their first four albums (from 1985 to 1991) and contains their early classics, 'Take On Me', 'Sun Always Shines on TV' and 'Hunting High and Low'.
'I've Been Losing You', 'Blood that Moves the Body', 'Manhattan Skyline', 'The Living Daylights', 'Train of Thought' and their cover of 'Crying in the Rain' are wonderful tunes as well, and A-ha are well known for their looser pop music like 'Touchy!' and 'You Are the One'.
Their later material like 'I Call Your Name', 'Early Morning' and 'Move to Memphis' is brilliantly diverse, and a sign that they were not a band who were typecast by a particular sound.
Since this compilation, they have released two excllent records (the broody 'Memorial Beach' in 1993 and 'Minor Earth|Major Sky' in 2000). Another album is slated for the end of 2001, and a world tour is likely.
on 11 December 2003
I have noticed that in some countries (such as Brazil) there are other a-ha 'Best Of' compilations available, but 'Headlines and Deadlines' is the only official international hits collection at the time of this writing. This 16-track 1991 collection CD encompass the first four albums of the trio, including the soundtrack version of the theme song of the 1987 Bond movie "The Living Daylights", and four remixes of the album tracks. (A different version of 'Move To Memphis' was later included on their underrated but very good 1993 album.) I really wish that some day soon someone releases a 12" Mixes / B-Side anthology for a-ha, since the few extended versions of theirs I have are excellent. It is great news that since 2000 the band has made a comeback; their 2002 album is definitely worth checking out.
on 21 December 2000
A-ha produced two of the best songs of the eighties-'Take On Me' and 'The Sun Always Shines On TV'. While these two alone justify a purchase, there are other classics on this disc. 'Stay On These Roads' is a beautiful and sensual ballad as is ' Crying In The Rain'. Good quality synth pop is represented with 'The Living Daylights' and 'Touchy!' and if you do not get up and dance to 'You Are The One' then there is no hope for you. Don't forget they are still going strong with 'Minor Earth, Major Sky'.
on 24 July 2004
After years of not hearing or playing any A-ha music (moved on, married, kids, etc) I suddenly recently had the urge to search for A-ha on the internet, to see where they had gone to. After literally minutes, i'd signed myself up to purchase Headlines and Deadlines album.I have not stopped playing it,!! i love the old songs such as H,H&L, I've been losing you, Manhattan Skyline - others such as Take on me and The sun always shines... are still good, but i feel as there most popular songs back then have been subject to slight overkill . I have to admit i do tend to skip the unfamiliar ones( which i am not bothered about listening to). Morten's voice is so unique and unmistakable. The songs are to be fully appreciated with volume level very high and signing along as loud as possible!!!. The memories come flooding back, AAAhhhhh - Morten! The hours i spent swooning over those Morten posters!!! I feel like a young teenager again!!!!! and as a bonus my 6 and 2 yr olds love the songs so i get to play it in the car all the time!!!!
on 4 October 2013
I bought this as it reminded me of my youth. It also surprised to me hear how long the band was producing albums. Especially since they really fell out of the spotlight in the UK/SA after their first few early albums.

The old songs still are good and get your foot tapping. It also is an interesting narrative on how the style of the generations and band changed through the years.
on 13 March 2009
As a teenager in the mid-80s I despised a-ha as just another boy band with lightweight songs and a sound and look that was only for hormonal girls. As an adult I bought this compilation and can honestly say that there is not a duff track on the album. From the sublime 'Manhattan Skyline' with that soaring chorus, to the cover version of 'Crying in the Rain' which was a late period effort that demonstrated a maturity and depth that the band had grown into over the years. This is the definitive 80s album - as in an album that showcases all that was good about the decade's pop music scene. Class.
on 28 May 2006
A-ha were dismissed as a boy band in the 80s and 90s but the fact that they are back with some great new material shows that there is more to them than impressive cheekbones. This 1991 compilation has all of their hits to that date, many of which still sound surprisingly fresh. Harket's voice has a strange Norwegian/US accent and a trademark of fabulous soaring high notes. Favourites are Manhattan Skyline ("I'm trying to keep my newspaper dry" is surely one of the least likely song lyrics of all time), Hunting High and Low (beautiful), Stay on these roads (likewise) and of course, The Sun Always Shines on TV (epic). Weakest track is probably I Call Your Name which could be anyone and Crying in the Rain, which is a cover. Neither are actually bad though.

Unlike most electro bands of the period, Aha actually played rock/pop songs and used synthesizers to do it rather than deliberately made silly noises and paste a song on top. I bought this CD years ago and it is one of my collection that I keep coming back to. If you liked Take On Me then buy it, you won't be disappointed.
on 4 May 2015
I love the album, the music is great, and has been around long enough to be familiar with most people., it is a unique sounding soft rock sound I think is the easiest description, it is dominantly syth pop/rock and non the worse for that, the songs still stand up pretty well, lyrically they have more substance than a lot of music since.
The album loses a star because it does not fit modern life as the CD is copy protected so cannot be transferred onto your laptop, ipod or mp3 player.
A great CD let down by its own technology
on 22 March 2008
A-Ha was Norway`s biggest selling act. This globally popular trio was known for it`s innovative videos and stage shows. This album is one of their best of the top singles starting with 28 September 1985 `Take on me`, which reached number 2 in the UK charts. All 16 tracks are recorded in ADD, of which 15 have been chart toppers, on this album it contains 3 Remixed versions for your pure enjoyment.
If you do not have A-Ha in your collection then this is the classic album to buy and you will wish that you had brought it earlier.
All Dee-Jays should have this monster album in there record collection.
on 23 May 2015
If pressed I would admit "Take on me" is my all time favourite pop tune. Finally I had to buy it. This CD is fantastic and the songs "Crying in the rain" and "Stay on these roads" are truly lovely. It took me 30 years to finally buy an a-ha record but I am pleased I have finally discovered them.