5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute stotter. This guy really knows how to rock!, 18 Mar 2007
Daveyboots (Brighton & Hove) - See all my reviews
I didn't much care for Rod Stewart's music before I heard this album. It is an absolute cracker and never fails to cheer me up when I need it. A great collection of songs, a good solid guitarist and a good collection of session musicians including The Corrs all with Rod singing to bust a gut make this a real stonker of a good-time-rock-and-roll album. Nice to know that Jeff "Skunk" Baxter is still around on the music scene. He plays a nice pedal steel guitar here. The album was produced by Rod and has a party atmosphere from beginning to end although the pace slows down a couple of times. The very highest points for me; Primal Scream's "Rocks", Oasis's "Cigarettes and alcohol" and Graham Parker's "Hotel chambermaid", all excellent interpretatons which, in my opinion, completely outclass the originals (That's right Rod. You show 'em how it's done).

This is good, unpretentious rock music with balls, guts and a lot of fun.

5.0 out of 5 stars Covers album., 6 Aug 2011
Cthomas "CJ Turbo" (England) - See all my reviews
Covers album of well chosen songs of which he does good versions ,particularly Rocks and Weak.And at such a cheap price,wonderfull.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ooh La La - Rod is back!, 29 Oct 2000
Rod Stewart is the type of guy you either loved or hated. In the late 70's Rod started to sing ballards and at that time ballards were for girls.
'When we were the new boys' is far from being a ballard album. With a fantastic copy of the Oasis track 'Cigarettes and alcohol' and Skunk Anansies 'Weak' Rod has shown his dedicated fans that there is still rock music in his blood.
Rod revives the 'Faces' days in tribute to Ronnie Lane with Ooh La La (probably my favourite track) and the wonderfully written 'When we were the new boys' which captures some of Rods feeling throughout his many many years of singing.
Rod never fails to impress me with his singing talent and through the years i have quite a collection of Rod albums. If you liked 'Vegabond Heart' then you'll love this one.
My only critisism is that Rod didn't write many of the songs on this album himself - and we all know he writes fantastic lyrics, remember 'Do ya think i'm sexy?'
'An old raincoat will never let you down' - Rod may be a veteran in the music world these days but this album will not let you down and is a must for all Rod fans

ARRAY(0xb4384630)

When We Were the New Boys [CASSETTE]
When We Were the New Boys [CASSETTE] by Rod Stewart (Audio Cassette - 1998)