5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly good - humbling at times.
I wasn't sure about buying this album when I was quoted sixteen quid. But as Tom Wait's major sidekick surely it must be good I reasoned.
Published on 10 Mar. 2000

1.0 out of 5 stars LACKLUSTRE
A seriously disappointing album -
I wouldn't mind listening to it again if I could have a toot of what A CUSTOMER was on, when he wrote his 5 star review.
The clue is in the title THE PROSTHETIC CUBANS - I only wish I had spotted it earlier.

I now have reason to suspect Victor Kyam cannot dance and has no sense of rhythm either.
Published on 30 Jun. 2010 by P. Fraser

5.0 out of 5 stars Astoundingly good - humbling at times., 10 Mar. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos (Audio CD)
Not wrong and then some. Nothing like 90% of Waitsey, Ribot foretrod the Cuban route a couple of years before the rush and his soaring, almost off key guitar indulgences teamed with a demon bongo player and surely misplaced Hammond organist works astonishingly well.
Generally a tribute album, Ribot really gets under the skin and some tracks you just don't want to end. Great for looking a muso officiando as most people don't know the album and on hearing it - want it! I've raved about it so much and have told many of my friends to "just buy it - if you don't like it I'll give you you're money back!"
Victor Kyam gets the rhythm thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album from a Waits sidekick, 12 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos (Audio CD)
I've heard three of Ribot's solo albums, of which this is the best, and seen him live twice (plus once with Waits back in the Franks Wild Years days). Some of his solo work can be quite abstract. I think he's at his best when grounded either by Tom or by Cuban rhythms and melodies, as here.

But I mainly put this review up to bring up the average number of stars, because one of the two other reviewers gave this a one star review, which I find baffling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos (Audio CD)
cracking guitar - brilliant background beats and altogether a wonderful album

1.0 out of 5 stars LACKLUSTRE, 30 Jun. 2010
P. Fraser (46200) - See all my reviews
A seriously disappointing album -

Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos
Marc Ribot Y Los Cubanos Postizos by Marc Ribot (Audio CD - 1998)