5.0 out of 5 stars Proof Of Excellence
Published 1 month ago by Farhan Haq

1.0 out of 5 stars Wasn't as described
The cd wasn't new and factory sealed as advertised.also scratched which was the disappointing thing otherwise I wouldn't of bothered writing this review
Published 6 months ago by Andrew Bracegirdle

5.0 out of 5 stars Proof Of Excellence, 24 Oct 2014
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
Although established and having a career of longevity, The Charlatans never made it into massiveness, it must be annoying as they've come close more than once. They have a charismatic frontman who also happens to be a great singer and lyricist. All the girlies want to shag Tim Burgess, he's really pretty, and he's also firmly one of the lads. The band consistently wrote great songs and singles which charted with regularity, the evidence is here going back to debut hit 'The Only One I Know'. They play well, they look good but it must grate that they never reached the heights of Blur or Oasis when they are far more worthy. I use that comparison as they were lumped in with Britpop just as they had been with 'Baggy' a few years earlier. I worry for the band, they don't get their dues and are definitely dogged by tragedy, just when we'd recovered from the death of Rob Collins, last year saw the passing of drummer and eternal sweetheart John Brookes. They should have reached a position of comfort, enjoying down time whilst catching their royalty cheques as they fall through their letterboxes. Instead Tim is reduced to playing small gigs round the country to raise money for their next album!

Let's forget the baggage for now and dwell on the content of this mighty fine compilation. Many people have commented whilst perusing my copy of the album how they never realised how prolific they were. More often than not they know, not recognise but know many of the tunes. What strikes you as you listen is the sheer consistency in quality, these are great songs! The latter portion highlights how heavily they're influenced by Jimmy Miller production era Stones. 'Just When You're Thinking ..', 'North Country Boy', 'Can't Get Out Of Bed' would all have been welcome on 'Exile On Main Street'. I'm surprised I never noticed before, especially as I always viewed Tim and Mark Collins as an indie Mick n Keef, and not just because of Tim's lips. They seem tight with each other whilst emanating that uber cool star quality.

This is an excellent compilation, all the hits are there in chronological order which helps focus on the fact that they just got better and better. This album should convince the doubters of The Charlatans greatness, pop it in and play, it's all the evidence you'll need.

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect starting point for a new Charlatans fan., 29 July 2014
Pendleton Girl (Buckfastleigh, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
I am absolutely loving this record. It sat unplayed in our stacks of CDs for many years until recently I heard "The Only One I Know" and "Then" for the first time in absolutely ages. I enjoyed them so much this prompted me to dig out Melting Pot and give it a full listen - and I'm so glad I did - with each play I am loving it more and more and am now encouraged to start working my way through the Charlatan's albums chronologically one by one. Particular favourites for me here are "Opportunity Three" "Weirdo" "Jesus Hairdo" and "One to Another" but there isn't a duff track on here to be honest - I am enjoying them all and I have also got my best friend listening and liking them too.

Basically the tracks here cover the time the band were graced by the presence of the amazing Rob Collins on keyboards and revisiting memory lane all I can say is what a brilliant musician they had in him and how sad and tragic that he passed away - a dreadful loss. At least we have his music to remember him by but listening to this - especially the later tracks he recorded just before he was killed - can be an awfully bitter-sweet experience. God Bless you Rob, and thank you. x

To summarise, I would say for a new "Charlies" fan like me this is a pretty good place to start listening and loving their music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Saving the Soul of Britpop, 23 Jan 2008
A. Marczak "mazzarak" (Mordor) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
I have a distant recollection that this album was a collection of tracks as chosen by the band. I don't know where I read this, but it explains the addition of a few of the tracks on this essential album. This is a chronological guide through what you could loosely call now the early years of Charlatans music, and opening tracks don't get much better than "The Only One I know", which takes you (if you are of a certain age) back into baggy trousers, floppy fringes and indie clubs in an instant. Through the less familiar tracks (to me at least), to the floor filler "Weirdo", the big tunes get bigger, and I love the inclusion of the fabulously titled "I Never Want An Easy Life If Me And He Were Ever To Get There."

For a Britpop fan as myself, this goes next to all the other greatest hits albums from Ash, Dodgy, Shed 7, Space, and all the others that got left behind by Oasis and Blur.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely brilliant!, 7 Oct 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
I bought this album in 2000 after getting really into The Stone Roses the year before, previously not being especially into indie. As everyone knows "The Stone Roses" album is outstanding, so it would take some album to grab my attention from that. The Melting Pot has done that with ease. I knew and loved How High, One to Another and The Only One I Know before I got this album so had a some idea of how The Charlatans sounded. Great tune that it is How High isn't on this album but it doesn't need to be. As you do when you know a few tunes on an album you play those ones all the time and ignore the others, but after playing this through a few times the tunes I didn't previously know became my favourites. Then, the trippy Opportunity Three, Over Rising, Sproston Green, Theme from the Wish, Crashin' in, Just Lookin' and North Country Boy are incredible songs which just get better with every listen. I could list every tune as my favourite which shows how good it is. As this is a "Best Of" album spanning nearly a decade you can hear the way the band's sound changes, which gives the album variety. They keep with the organ throughout though and it sounds incredible right the way through, creating tunes you can dance and rock to. Now I've got most of their albums including Us and Us Only which again is class, with a more slower, bluesy feel to it. Buy it now, you won't be disappointed. Definately 5 star, Burgess sounds better than Brown and in my opinion this album beats The Complete Stone Roses. Praise indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars As good as it gets!, 12 July 2014
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
Out of all the bands to emerge from the Britpop era, The Charlatans tend to be dismissed and put to one side. It's true that there were many bands who sounded similar, but despite being underrated, the band penned and recorded some excellent pop/rock tunes, and chalked up an impressive list of hits. If you like the Stone Roses and Happy Mondays, you should enjoy the Charlatans.

I prefer 'Melting Pot' to the later compilation Forever - The Singles, as this one was released in 1998 and therefore contains only the songs from the band's most commercially successful peak, which as regard as 'the best'. However, if you wish to own a more comprehensive CD that contains a handful of these tracks and the hits that came later, you might want to pick the other aforementioned set up instead.

Here, in chronological order, you have 17 tracks which gives the listener the chance to hear the guys from Manchester's steady development and how they progressed over those seven years. It also demonstrates how good indie music was supposed to sound.

The songs are all from the band's fruitful association with Beggars Banquet Records between 1990 and 1997. Their signature tunes like the breakthrough top 10 UK hit 'The Only One I Know', their most successful US hit 'Weirdo', the funky 'One To Another' and blissful 'North Country Boy' are here along with several lesser-known B sides, and two cuts from the 'Over Rising' EP.

I would say that this is the perfect introduction to The Charlatans, and the only CD to buy if you want all of the obvious tunes from this great band.

5.0 out of 5 stars A masterclass of indie/rock, 24 May 2001
R. J. Williams "Postie" (Clevedon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
What can I say, great great songs, from the classic "Only One I Know" to the wonderfull hit from 96 "North Country Boy" theres not a duffer in site. Buy this,The Best Of Blur, The Stone Rose debut, Oasis 1st two releases and Verves Urban Hymns.........and never leave the house again!

5.0 out of 5 stars The heart and soul of indie, 15 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
The boys are legends in their own life times and they keep getting better. This album shows you what proper indie music sounds like from start to finish - with a bit of rock for good measure. Would have like to have seen How High creep in somewhere but it wasn`t to be. Pure Magic. Long Live Mr Burgess (Even if you are in L.A.)

5.0 out of 5 stars ... present for a Charlatans fan and he was very pleased, 27 Oct 2014
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
This was a present for a Charlatans fan and he was very pleased

5.0 out of 5 stars The most under rated of the Brit indie bands., 17 April 2012
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
The indie scene in the 90's would never have been the samne without the Charlatans. The Stone Roses rightly grab the attention of the masses, but i dare anyone to listen to this album and not agree that every song on here stands up with the mighty Roses. Must have tunes from a cracking band.

5.0 out of 5 stars if your old or young for that matter..., 6 Jan 2012
This review is from: Melting Pot (Audio CD)
And you think that 90%of bands are rubbish these days then buy this cd,some good old and some good newish tunes on here,cant fault it 1 bit

Melting Pot
Melting Pot by The Charlatans (Audio CD - 2036)