4.0 out of 5 stars a CLASSIC album...
Published on 27 Jan 2000

Published on 18 Jan 2012 by craig johnson

4.0 out of 5 stars a CLASSIC album..., 27 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Some Friendly (Audio CD)
The Charlatans exploded into the UK music scene near the death throes of the "baggy" scene with this excellent debut album. Although not everybody's cup of tea this album contains the classic "The Only One I Know" as well as the fantastic "Then" and "Sproston Green". The dark and addictive bass line of "Flower" is yet another excellent track, along with the strange Hammond influenced tracks of "polar bear", "Believe you me" and the racier "White shirt". Worth buying for the classics alone, you may also find these "baggy" tracks equally enjoyable.

4.0 out of 5 stars an album packed with good tunes, 9 Mar 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Some Friendly (Audio CD)
The Charlatans as heard on this, their debut album, are a different proposition from the Charlatans of 'Tellin' Stories' fame. Along with 'the Stone Roses' and 'Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches', this album epitomises the Madchester scene of the early nineties. And, although it does not flow with the same genius as the Roses' album, or reverberate with the raw energy of the Mondays', it is a very good album. 'The only one I know' is a classic, and the album would be worth buying for that song alone. However, there is more to this album than just one song. It is impossible to sit still to tracks like 'you're not very well' and 'white shirt' - they have a real vibe about them. Although the album lulls very slightly in the middle, if there is a better ending to an album than the fantastic 'Sproston Green' I am yet to hear it. It is a good enough song for the band to have finished their live shows with it, even after 'Tellin' Stories'. Not an album that defines its era, as 'The Stone Roses' does, but still an album packed with good tunes, and sprinkled with a couple of great ones.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Madchester Must Have, 8 April 2009
I. M. Knight (Huddersfield, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Friendly (MP3 Download)
This is definitely one of the albums you definitely must own if you are or were in to Madchester music of the late 80's, early 90's. One of the best songs of the era, 'The Only One I Know' is on there along with some excellent psychedelic tracks like 'Opportunity', 'Flower' & '109 Pt2' (Pt1 is on the b side to 'The Only One I Know' single). If you like Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets then this is a must have. I especially love the Hammond Organ sound, which I think The Charlatans miss in some of their later albums, due to the untimely death of keyboard player, Rob Collins, in 1996.

4.0 out of 5 stars out of this cosmic, 31 Dec 2011
This review is from: Some Friendly (Audio CD)
being new to the band. see in them on tv music show. doing an acoustic set. i brought cd on inpulse. and oh boy was i surprized. this is well worth buying for anybody new to the band. well ths or melting pot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty brew, 5 Dec 2002
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Some Friendly (Audio CD)
Here 60s psychedelia returned with a vengeance in the early 90s, combined with the manic rhythms of dancefloor grooving. A times, the sound resembles that of Pink Floyd, as on Opportunity where the persistent drum and Rob Collins' groovy organ build to a cresendo overlapped by harsh electric guitar riffs. Then there's Then, an electronic cornucopia with a raving rhythm. Best of all is Believe You Me, a glide-and-fly-with-me rhythm that showcases frontman Tim Burgess' unique, tranquil and soothing vocals. Some Friendly follows the rave-on trend of the early nineties but brims with originality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, 4 Aug 2014
Brett Shaw (Sheffield) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Friendly (Audio CD)
It was a good purchase and came as described. It came within the delivery estimate. I am really pleased with my purchase. I would certainly buy from the same seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars SMACKS OF THE SIXTIES..................., 18 July 2009
Saturnicus "Saturnicus" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Some Friendly (Audio CD)
There is something very euphoric about this album and takes me back to the sound of the sixties. Perhaps it is the use of the keyboards.
I first bought it twenty years ago on cassette and enjoyed it then. I have long since done away with the cassette players but the cassette remains unused in a box.
It was time to repeat the performance on CD and I did not regret it.
Was the vocalist not a son of Mick Jaggar? Perhaps I am wrong, but there was something that ilk about one of the band anyway.
Nice album - I love it.

3.0 out of 5 stars this is not the expanded edition of the alubm there is nothing different from the other adinon of the album and I feel rip off, 18 Jan 2012
craig johnson (Leeds westyorkshire uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Some Friendly (Audio CD)
This is the normal album and is not on driffant to the some friendly I all ready have so I feel a bit rip off and not very happy as I feel I shoud and now have 2 copes off the same album so knowing what I know now so would,no of botherd buying it and as a collector of cds know me stuff so if u have,some friendly dont buy this cose it not the album its made out to be,but it is still some friendly and if u dont hqve copy worth buying but nothing is expanded about it

Some Friendly
Some Friendly by The Charlatans (Audio CD - 2001)