4.0 out of 5 stars More Jarrett than Shostakovich, 18 April 2003
This review is from: Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87 (Audio CD)
I became interested in Shostakovich' preludes and fugues partly because I like Bach's approach in "The Well-Tempered Clavier" and partly because I have appreciated some of Shostakovich' other works, such as the symphonies 5 & 7, and his second piano concerto which I discovered when seeing "The Steadfast Tin Soldier" in Disney's "Fantasia 2000". I am also a great fan of Jarrett, both when playing jazz and classical music (e.g. Bach). The combination of Jarrett and Shostakovich should be an obvious 5-star. Or?
When I first heard some of these recordings I became somewhat disappointed that they did not give that "wow" feeling I had expected. After a few listenings, I was still not really impressed. Not long after, I bought the Scherbakov recording on Naxos, and suddenly I was carried away by the music. I have not heard the Nikolayeva or Ashkenazy recordings, but they usually recieves praise as well. It is probably much a matter of taste. Returning to Jarrett again, he does play very well, but there is something lacking to make the music full justice. It is hard to point out exactly what.
If you are a Jarrett fan, this recording gives you yet another performance by the amazingly talented pianist - five stars. But if you know Shostakovich by heart and may have heard this cycle by other performers, this recording will score lower - three or four stars. The reason to buy this recording should be Jarrett rather than Shostakovich.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing combination, 25 Jun 2014
P. Cusack "river view" (IRELAND) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87 (Audio CD)
This CD was recommended to me and it combines the marvelllous talents of Jarrett and Shostakovich. It was an unexpected surprise but I highly recommend it. Describing it wouldn't do it justice. It's expensive but worth every cent.

Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87
Shostakovich: 24 Preludes and Fugues, Op. 87 by Keith Jarrett (Audio CD - 2008)