on 21 September 2003
The initial excitement over Frank Sinatra's return caused by "Ol' Blue Eyes Is Back" dissipates somewhat with his next effort, "Some Nice Things I've Missed." As the title indicates, most of the tracks on this album are songs that were popular during the period of Sinatra's retirement such as Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline," Jim Croce's "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown," David Gates' "If," and Stevie Wonder's "You Are the Sunshine of My Life." However, there are some bad choices in terms of how some of these songs are produced. Apparently in keeping with the idea of Sinatra doing things his way, most of these songs are turned into big band efforts. I suppose "Bad, Bad Leroy Brown" can work as a big band number, but "Sweet Caroline" does not. The end result is that the better tracks are those that are slowed down and scored simply, such as "What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life?" The other decent tracks are "You Are the Sunshine of My Life," "If," "The Summer Knows," and "You Turned My World Around," only the two of which actually fit the motif of the album. On both albums there are two arrangers, Don Costa and Gordon Jenkins, and the results are the same both times. Jenkins provides the 5 star material and Costa the 3 star; the balance tips up on the first album but down on this one, resulting in a 3.5 album where we have to round down. Put all the Jenkins tracks together and you would have the last great album of Frank Sinatra's career. Instead you have one above average and one below average effort.
on 6 August 2013
There were definitely some things that he had lost to Frank as "You turned my world around" and "You are the sunshine of my life". Arrangements by Costa and Jenkins are excellent and Frank is in good shape. It's not just for collectors. And, as usual in Reprise discs, the sound is excellent. Recorded in July 1974.

Definitivamente había algunas cosas que se le habian perdido a Frank como "You turned my world around" o "You are the sunshine of my life". Los arreglos de Costa y Jenkins son excelentes y Frank en buena forma. No es solo para coleccionistas. Y, como casi siempre en los discos de Reprise, el sonido es excelente. Grabado en Julio 1974.
on 20 January 2010
THE THREE STAR RATING FOR THIS ALBUM RESTS ENTIERLY ON MR SINATRA'S VERSIONS OF THREE TOP CLASS MID 1970S BALLADS NAMELY 'IF','THE SUMMER KNOWS' AND 'WHAT ARE YOU DOING THE REST OF OUR LIFE'ON WHICH HE DEMONSTRATES HIS TIMELESS ABILITY TO INVEST QUALITY SONGS WITH MEANING AND SIGNIFICANCE BORN FROM A LIFETIMES EXPERIENCE OF THE SENTIMENTS EXPRESSED WITHIN THEM. 1974, A YEAR AFTER HIS COMEBACK FROM A SHORT SELF IMPOSED RETIREMENT SAW THE RELEASE OF THIS COLLECTION. UNFORTUNATELY, THE REMAINDER OF THE ALBUM IS DIRE. UP TEMPO POP SONGS WERE NEVER A STRENGTH BUT DUE TO THE LACK OF DECENT NEW MATERIAL, UNADVISEABLE SELECTIONS HAD TO BE MADE. SOME ARE EXCRUCIATINGLY AWFUL, BUT THEN THE FLEXIBILITY AND YOUTHFUL VIGOUR OF HIS VOICE WAS FADING AND ONLY ON THE BALLADS DO WE HEAR AN ECHO OF SINATRA'S GREAT TALENT AND IMPROVISORY GENIUS. IT WOULD BE ANOTHER SIX YEARS BEFORE 'TRILOGY'AND A PARTIAL RETURN TO FORM. IN THE MEANTIME,THIS ALBUM IS MAINLY FOR 'COMPLETISTS'.
on 7 February 2013
My Mother had the original LP Vinyl & could no longer play it as her record player was broken, I suggested looking to see if by any chance it would be possible to obtain it on CD for her.

To my surprise I immediately found it at Amazon & ordered it for her. She was thrilled to receive the CD within one week of ordering.

She's absolutely thrilled to be able to listen to this once again.

Thank you Amazon.
on 23 March 2013
What can one say?
I was fourteen when I fell in Love with this Guy
The Forty's and Fifty's where the greatest
That was Music.
I still live that moment in my life