Format: Audio CD|Change

'Gene Pitney' had a great vocal-range that on-stage he delivered with such ease.
Down the years he was a regular visitor to our shores (U.K)
The song many associate his name with is of course his 1963 hit 'Twenty Four Hours
From Tulsa' which surprisingly only peaked at number '5' here in the U.K mind it
would be fair to say that completion was pretty hot back then, 'Gene' achieved around
16 Top 30 hits, 11 of which were Top 10 entries 7 of which peaked in the Top 5.
He only actually had the one 'Number One' which given the quality of his vocal delivery
remains a bit of a mystery, to me, that is, the Number One was a duet with 'Marc Almond'
in 1989 that being 'Something's Gotten Hold of my Heart' (Which had actually charted
for 'Gene' in 1967 at number 5)
Among the other great tracks on-board to cherish......'Backstage' (I'm Lonely).....'Town
Without Pity'.....'Looking Through the Eyes of Love'.......'That Girl belongs to Yesterday'
'I'm Gonna be Strong'......and.....'The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance'.....some of the
memorable tracks among the Twenty on board.
I've owned this one for many years now, I guess if you want just 'one' example of 'Gene's'
music for your collection you could do a lot worse than to buy this one......great music from
a great performer of yesterday.
Many will of course know that part way through a U.K tour in 2006 'Gene Pitney' was found
dead in his hotel room in 'Cardiff' --6th April- aged 65.
Many of us will still be playing his music for many years to come.
on 1 November 2010
1st of all thank,s amazon v-fast delivery..as for the cd 24 tracks of great songs,you know there are not that many singers/group,s that have a distinctive sound..Gene was one of them..all the old fav,s are on here plus 1 or 2 I had never heard before,Shady Lady track 16 being one,however great cd,great price,buy this with confidence...cd title the very best of Gene Pitney...
on 23 July 2012
Just buy it and hear for yourself the guy is great.And I'm A Rock"N"Roller who who loves Rockabilly.The Very Best Of Gene Pitney.Thank you for reading this review.
on 15 August 2009
Relive your misspent youth listening to Gene Pitney at his best! This is such A GOOD BUY with 24 of his most popular songs. For ladies in particular (I expect), it's perfect: for driving along with; to while away those hours slaving over the ironing board; to sing along to whilst dancing round the house with your feather duster; to relax with and reminisce; or to just join in, let off steam and have a good sing-song!
I HEARTILY RECOMMEND it - it's such a GOOD BUY!
on 14 August 2010
This is a great CD for anyone who is a fan of Gene Pitney and enjoys listening to all the old songs. It is also good for introducing some one to the music of a great performer.
on 3 May 2010
If you like Gene you will love this CD. The only track I like is the 2nd one which was in the film Look Who's Talking however I now know the words to the Man who Shot Liberty Valance as my boyfriend keeps playing it in his car and singing it over and over!!! Should come with a warning but if you are a fan you WILL LOVE IT !! :)
on 15 September 2014
Bought this for my sister for Christmas, shes a big fan, and admit to playing it although Im not a fan realy but did find myself singing along to the favourites, and quite enjoyed it, so I am sure my sister will love it
on 23 June 2015
Ah, its going back in time, these records came out when I was about 3 yrs old but I remember them clearly, what a joy to hear them again, he was really good, what a voice, what memories. ...
on 10 May 2014
Having seen Gene Pitney a couple of times when he was at the height of his popularity, this CD brings back wonderful memories of his shows. What a voice!
on 7 February 2015
Gene Pitney took us all by surprise when he died in fact he was touring over here he was still very popular when he died. The CD was in good condition.