Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 July 2008
There have been a multitude of recordings from the Montreux Jazz Festival over the years. This is one of the first I ever heard and it remains my favourite. From the introductions to the trio in French (which somehow adds to the magic of the recording) right through to the last notes this is a classic recording. Why this hasn't been reviewed before is something of a mystery to me....

The trio with Jack De Johnette and Eddie Gomez only existed for a short period of time but you'd never guess it from these recordings. The recording quality is crisp and sharp, baring in mind its 40 years old and the selection of material is an eclectic mixture of standards with a couple of Evans own originals (One for Helen & Walkin' Up) thrown in for good measure.

Highlights for me are the wonderful solo Piano rendition of 'I Loves You Porgy', which is the finest version of this Gershwin classic I know regardless of music genre. You can hear Evans marvellous touch and beautiful phrasing throughout this track. Second favourite is a surprisingly fiery version of 'Someday My Prince Will Come'.

Be in no doubt there are no weak tracks on this album and highlights abound thoughout it. Only time prevents me from writing about every single track.
on 9 February 2013
I bought this CD for a friend who loves jazz and Montreux. He felt this was exactly what you'd expect from a Bill Evans Trio conert performance. Simply cool modern jazz, transporting you to a 60's concert hall without too much imagination. The quality is excellent. He was very impressed with my choice.
on 28 June 2015