Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 May 2015
Brought back memories of emotional times in the 70's.....perhaps Lou Reed's best work. Really glad that I purchased it.
on 27 February 2014
Another excellent buy. Love listening to it in my car and brings back wonderful memories. I Cannot praise it enough.
VINE VOICEon 4 May 2012
If you're not familiar with the work of one-man fun-factory Lou Reed, this is probably the best place to start your journey. From the four-to-the-floor stomp of hi-nrg classic "Berlin", through to the proto-handbag-house euphoria of "Sad Song" (don't be fooled by that gloomy title!), this album is guaranteed to get your party started right every time.

It's a concept album of sorts, and many of the songs deal with the perils of one Caroline - a zany party girl who likes to burn the candle at both ends. If that sounds a bit heavy, don't worry: this is Lou Reed we're talking about here, and you're never more than a few seconds away from the next LOL as you dance along.

I don't normally like songs with kids on (a bit too Pink Floyd for my taste), but for me, the zippy and thoroughly life-affirming "The Kids" is the standout track here. This being a song about the sheer energy of youth it's every bit the floor-filler you'd expect, and if you listen carefully you can just about hear the happy screams of the producer's children as they bopped wildly in the studio during the session.

Probably one of the best all-round good-time albums you're ever likely to hear; buy it, enjoy it, live it. So rinsin', in fact, that you might just think you're on one.
88 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 23 January 2015
Absolute masterpiece. One of the most brilliant pieces of musical work that I have ever heard.
on 14 January 2016
I have this on vinyl, although the content is rather disturbing I love his voice.
on 16 November 2015
Highly under rated at the time this is probably Lou Reed's finest album
on 8 January 2015
if you need to cry then this is the album . masterpiece. love it
on 23 June 2000
A relationship founders in Berlin. Children being taken away from their mother - screaming. Suicide. The usual heart-warming stuff from Lou Reed. Yet this is one of the most beautiful albums I own. The arrangements and playing are wonderful, and the story is perversely uplifting - cathartic even. You can't honestly describe yourself as any sort of Lou fan if you don't love this record.
on 26 December 2009
i like this because it is sad and pretty, but most people who have been subjected to it in my car thought it was boring and wanted a different cd put on. i've seen children being taken away from their mothers a few times, and i find that song sad to the point of distressing
on 4 October 2015
i lost my copy ages ago, good to get another.