Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 March 2001
This follows Music for the Native Americans (another essential buy) by a couple of years, & again Robbie strengthens the catalogue of modern native american music, already made mighty by Ulali, Joseph Medicine Crow, Without Rezervation & countless others, by this release. It's melodic, strongly produced and meaningful: the inclusion of the words of Leonard Peltier, the singing of Six Nations, Robbie's voice & guitar. Hell, it's great! Go listen...Try the first 2 tracks ( "sound is fading" & "handsome lake" )then go buy it! Modern American Music don't come better ( unless it's The Pharoahs!)
on 22 September 2001
Having enjoyed Robbie's Daniel Lanois produced debut, I found this album somewhat different to what I'd expected. Being a total prog-head however, I was quite impressed!
A tolerance of Native American music is recommended, if only to get the best out of the music, but it should still function well based on song quality alone. After all, this guy is listed as one of the world's greatest songwriters - I'd say we can trust him!!
As the previous reviewer stated, try the first couple of tracks - they're what got me hooked too. The rest of the album continues the trend without becoming devoid of ideas or meaning, as is usually the case with some artists.
Anyway - at this price for 60min of top quality music from a respected songwriter, I have no doubt you'll get your money's worth.
on 30 July 2015
Nothing to write home about. I love Robbie Robertson but found this - apart from one track - quite tedious.