5.0 out of 5 stars A MASTERPIECE
Published on 17 Aug. 2003 by Fitzp22

3.0 out of 5 stars OK but songs not really good enough
Clear attempt to recreate the sound (& success)of Lets Get It On & What's Going On but without the great songs of those albums.
This didn't sell well on release but sounds better today. Standout tracks are the title track & After The Dance but most tracks don't seem to flow like the other two albums.
Great cover though.
Worth buying for Marvin's...
Published on 25 Mar. 2006 by MJ King

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A MASTERPIECE, 17 Aug. 2003
Initially released in 1976, Marvin was under pressure to come up with the goods after What's Going On in 1970 and and Let's Get It On in 1973. Not being the most prolific of artists at the time [compared to say Stevie Wonder's prodidgious output in the same period] he finally collaborated with Leon Ware who had already written most of the songs [many in conjunction with Diana Ross's brother T-Boy Ross]for his own Musical Massage album ... released a few years later and also worth checking out.
Unlike the classic What's Going On and Let's Get It On, this album is not a concept album as such and could best be described as a love letter to his young sweetheart of the time - Janis Hunter who he met during the Let's Get It On sessions, whilst still married to Berry Gordy's sister Anna, and whose name is mentioned [or moaned erotically] throughout the album.
The songs are haunting, erotic [listen to Soon I'll Be Loving You Again, where he promises his beloved 'Some Head' ]... the vocals are just unbelievable .. both on lead vocals where Marvin is at his sensuous best and on background ... where you'd swear the best vocalists Motown had to offer must have been assembled but it's actually layer upon layer of Marvin, sounding like the most heavenly and soulful choir.
The playing is as you'd expect from the best session guys of the time ... Joe Sample on keyboards, James Gadson on drums, Chuck Rainey on Bass and assembled great funk guitarists ... Melvin [wah wah]Ragin, Ray Parker jnr and Dennis Coffey ...
The production and complicated arrangements by Leon Ware are outstanding and the album has a 'groove' and 'feel' to it that in my opinion has never been replicated since.
Like many of his albums 'I Want You' has Gaye's peaks not so much coming from the singles [although I Want You and After The Dance are both great tracks], but rather the album cuts and the totality of the effort itself.

Disc One is a remastered copy of the original album with 2 un-released instrumental tracks .. Disc 2 consists of previously un-released alternative versions, and a couple of new tracks.
I loved the original album so much, so to get to hear new or different versions of these songs is such a treat. I cannot recommend this or the original version highly enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvellous Marvin, 20 Mar. 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
This is one of Marvins most under-rated albums, but one of his finest. Full of sensual soul, gorgeous melodies, lush string arrangements, all topped off with THAT voice- mercurial, angelic, sexy, vulnerable. Marvin is not just one of souls finest voices, but is one of popular music's finest vocalists, not to mention his instrumental and songwriting skills.
My only gripe about this album is that there are a few songs that suddenly fizzle out when they appear to be just getting started, but while they last they are fantastic songs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing album by the King of smooth soul, 8 Mar. 2007
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
I love this album sooo much!!!I am a huge, huge fan and I brought this album after watching the Marvin Gaye DVD, 'Live in Amsterdam: 1976' a few years ago. He gave a live performance of 'All the Way 'Round' and I just fell in love with the song so I decided to buy the whole album and I was not dissapointed. The album has been put onto my ipod and has been played constantly!!Marvin is at his sensual best and its just a very smooth and chilled album. I know its classed as a lovers album but I just enjoy playing it when I want to relax as the songs are very mellow.I love 'All the Way Round', 'Since I had You' and 'I Want You' the most but all the songs have their charm. I actually think its stronger then the 'Lets Get It On' album which I think is quite patchy at times. The only criticism is that some songs like 'Come Live With Me Angel' and 'Since I Had You' have a female voice constantly groaning, supposedly in the throes of orgasmic pleasure but its very, very annoying and prevents me from playing it loud as I think my parents would have something to say about it but apart from that, its a very polished and smooth album by Mr. Gaye.I strongly recommend it, you won't be dissapointed!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars The slightly forgotten Gaye masterpiece, 10 Mar. 2010
Ian Shine (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
When people talk about Marvin Gaye's masterpieces they invariably talk about "Let's Get It On" and "What's Going On", but "I Want You" certainly deserves to be ranked alongside them as one of his greatest works.
This record came out in 1976, three years after "Let's Get It On", but like it and "What's Going On" it develops a sound that rolls along through the album, as tracks blend together and loops are re-used, presaging the modern soul and hip-hop sound that Gaye so massively influenced.
The sound is a little lighter than the other two albums mentioned here. While they live in a more soulful, Motown kind of sound, "I Want You" ebbs more towards a mild disco feel (not the Disco of Candi Staton - much more understated) with a touch more funk.
The album wasn't received that warmly on its release, but has since been recognised as a landmark record that formed something of a base from which disco set off.
The lyrics, as per, are about women and love. The music, as per, is incredible.
A brilliantly crafted album that sits together tightly and as flawlessly as is possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Without doubt this is soul at its very, very best. A must!, 3 Dec. 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
I'll keep this short and sweet, the I want you album by Marvin is simply brilliant. His voice, lyrics, the instruments and hamonies used, and most importantly the feeling that comes over you is comparable to only one other non MG album ...

5.0 out of 5 stars And I Want You To Want Me Too!, 15 May 2014
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
I bought this for my neighbour, Pauline. We've been living on the same street for years, and I've sort of known her since school. She was a few years older than me, and didn't look at me twice, HA! but I used to go mates with her brother, Michael, a fair bit, until he moved away. Crikey, we used to have some laughs, me and Mick. He was a heck of a nice lad. Anyway, I've seen the fellers come and go from Pauline's house over the years (over forty, years, not fellers, that is, there were more like fifty of them!) her son, Simon, a bit of a big mouth, you know, full of himself sort of thing, grow up and leave home, and I've always had a 'thing' for her. If I'm honest, and I think I am, I only stayed round here because of her. I was once offered a good job in Leicestershire, and I could've moved to Bridlington with mum ten or more years since, but I stayed on, always believing there was a chance. Pauline was a hairdresser till she retired a few year ago, and I'd always go to her for a trim, as much as every fortnight at one time, till my hair started thinning out. Just being with her was wonderful, hearing her talk, her touch. I mean, she wasn't a classic beauty, and she had a reputation at one time, but I'm no Burt Reynolds, and not one to judge where gossip goes. I'd have been locked up a long time ago if talk were believed. People say some cruel things about bachelors.

But sorry, I'm going on, it's just nice to have someone to talk to, or write to, it's been a while. So I ordered the CD, thinking what a clever ruse it was. I knew she liked music, and was of a certain vintage, and when it came, or the day after anyway, I popped it through her letterbox with a card. And I didn't just sign it, I left it more cryptic like, so she'd have to work it out, if she wanted to. I could just see her putting it on, starting to dance, cigarette in her hand, beckoning me over. And it was only that afternoon I saw her coming down he street, heels clicking, that nose in profile. 'This is it!' I told myself, 'After all these years, this is it!' She knocked on the door and I fairly dashed to answer it, breathing heavy. I couldn't help but smile when I looked at her, but she looked angry, furious in fact, and then she was holding the CD up at me.
'Did you send this, then?' she asked.
'Yes, I did, yes,' I answered, falteringly.
'What do you think you're at?' she said. 'Do you honestly think I'd be interested in a weirdo like you!? I'm a successful career woman and you're a...God knows!'
And it was the look on her face as much a her words. That look that said everything, told me exactly what I didn't want to know, that I had absolutely no hope at all. Before I knew it my hands were round her neck and then she was gone, the whole street had disappeared, the world I'd always known, and the next thing I knew I was in here, alone, forever.
Oh well. It's still a lovely album.

5.0 out of 5 stars MARVIN GAYE THE EMPEROR OS SEDUCTION !!!, 3 Feb. 2009
I Want YouWhat can I say that no doubt others have said before me !

Souls, Sensual and Sexy!

Marvin is ' THE EMPEROR OF SEDUCTION ' and this Album (CD) proves it .

Just turn down the lights , have a glass or two of wine with the one you love and Chill with this Beautiful Album.

This Deluxe version is Wonderful and shows you the Master a work !

I love you Marvin and your Spirit will always be in my Soul !

Peace and Love

Delyons

5.0 out of 5 stars What's going on vs I want you, 8 Jan. 2010
X. Dolan "Xenebee" (London Town) - See all my reviews
When I first purchased 'what's going on' I played it continuously for about a month. No other album has surpassd that fact. I am a vinyl junkie, with a 1000 plus soul,funk, disco, rb, latin etc. So when I say the above, that is a feat.
'I want you' is up there with 'what's going on'. But it is different. It true sensual soul, rather than political messages. Indeed the linear notes to the deluxe edition hightlight that MG was 'in love'. Again, he had the music, the lyrics of no other Leon Haywood, this man's music is in it's own right considered a soul legend. The input of Leon Haywood, and his own album with the original 'I want you' material 'musical message' is great too. So soul lovers, midnight soul, sensual soul, dreamy soul, Ohio Players soul, buy it.

4.0 out of 5 stars An overlooked masterpiece, 23 Sept. 2002
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
This is probably one of Marvin's most overlooked works. The music was written by Leon Ware at the same time as his classic masterpiece "Musical Massage". This album flows from start to finish and really deserves more recognition for the masterpiece that it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars classic masterpiece, 27 April 2011
This review is from: I Want You (Audio CD)
There are very few albums that are in this class. once you have played it to the end, it's difficult to replace it with any other record. You start scanning the brain files for something better to play,but can't come up with anything so just play it again. This album just goes on and on like an endless irish coffee, its so smooth and pefect that you can't unplug yourself. It's a very pleasant if somewhat scary experiance as in 40 years of listening to music I have never come across a more addictive record.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

I Want You
I Want You by Marvin Gaye (Audio CD - 1998)