5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!
Published on 15 Sep 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Alice goes Elton
For this fourth album as a solo artist, in 1978, Alice Cooper parted company with long time producer, Bob Ezrin, and co-wrote the album with Elton John’s co-writer, Bernie Taupin. New producer, David Foster, was an odd choice, and would go on to produce the likes of Celine Dion, Air Supply, Barbara Streisand and Andrea Bocelli. This team delivered a third album in...
Published 1 day ago by B. S. Marlay

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 15 Sep 2000
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
I have searched almost everywhere i can think of to get this CD. When i found it i was in 7th heaven. I'm not a die hard Alice Cooper fan, but when i was a teenager i had this LP and i listened to it all the time. I think it appeals to me more because the songs were all written through personal experience. What can I say, I think everyons should buy this CD, My favourites are, well all of them really, but The quiet room, Nurse rosetta, How you gonna see me now, and of course Inmates (we're all crazy). If i could give it more stars i would.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twisted Evil, But Loses Pace by the End, 12 Mar 2004
Mr. A. E. Hall "brother_of_sadako" (Liverpool, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
In the mid 1970s, alcohol was to Alice Cooper what drugs were to Aerosmith and women were to KISS. His ever-growing adiction led to him voluntarily commiting himself to a mental asylum. The initial result was to clean up his life. The end result was a great album. All the songs are based on people he met there, experiences he had and his life in and outside afterwards.
The standout tracks are Quiet Room and Millie and Billie. The Quiet Room will resonate strongly with anyone who has ever been misunderstood but Millie and Billie will chill your blood. Recorded as a beautiful love song as a duet (with Alice playing Billie) the song suddenly gets creepy and it's only then that you start to listen to the lyrics. Going back and listening again will creep you out.
Unfortunately the album slows towards the end. Serious is decent enough (how it ended up on the box set I'll never know) but unspectacular, For Veronica's Sake and Jackknife Johnny are not without merit but outside the chorus are pretty ordinary.
Despite the excellent Millie and Billie, Quiet Room, How You Gonna See Me Now and one or two others, this album is a little uneven but still very, very good. Not for the lighthearted Alice fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Mental Hospital Concept Album You Can Buy!!, 4 Nov 2004
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
When I bought this album, this was my second Alice Cooper Album, (The first being Dragontown) so I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I'd heard "How You Gonna See Me Now" and "From The Inside" on Mascara & Monsters; The Best Of Alice Cooper, and they were two of my favourites. This probally was the main driving force behind me buying this album. I am very glad that I did because it is one of my favourite CDs that I own (plus its reasonably cheap for a CD - so you get outstanding value for money).
Heres just a brief backround on the circumstances behind the writing of this album. In the late 70s Alice had an alcohol adiction and admitted himself into a mental hospital to try and beat the addiction. Upon leaving he wrote this masterpiece based upon his experiences. Its hard to believe that such a hard experience led to such a witty and on the whole funny album.
Its really hard for me to say what my favourite song is because the songs are all great with outstanding and funny lyrics. "The Quiet Room" is chilling and is probally my favourite, but other highlights include "Millie & Billie", "I Wish I Was Born In Beverly Hills" and "From The inside".
To truely describe the album it would be best to go through each song one by one so here goes:
1. From The Inside - Excellent opener. Sets the scene of Alice waking up to find himself in a mental home. Upbeat rocky track. *****
2. Wish I Was Born In Beverly Hills - Opening similar to "Under My Wheels". Hilarious lyrics. Bop my head to this almost every time *****
3. The Quiet Room - Slower Ballad Track. Lyrics witty but not funny. Powerful lyrics and an album highlight *****
4. Nurse Rozetta - Hillarious and vile track about a priest infatuated with a nurse!!! *****
5. Millie & Billie - Sounds like a "light romantic pop" duet the lyrics take a dark and sinister turn. Another album highlight *****
6. Serious - Another rocky track with the harsh vocals and witty lyrics Alice does so well. Nothing special though ****
7. How You Gonna See Me Now - Romantic track based on a letter Alice wrote to his wife during his stay in a mental hospital. Another album highlight! *****
8. For Veronica's Sake - Lighter and slower than "Serious" but has the same harsh vocals and witty lyrics! ****
9. Jacknife Johnny - This, in my opinion is a weaker version of How You Gonna See Me Now! Nothing Special ****
10. Inmates (We're All Crazy) - Amazing album closer! A summary of the album with witty lyrics. The album goes out on such a high! *****
Its strange to think this album is only 39 minuites long because it is so enjoyable it seems to take a lot longer! One reason for that maybee because I play most tracks twice!! I would recommened this album to all Alice Fans, who don't have it or to those curious about his music. Its hard to compare this album to anything I've ever heard so I can't say if you like certain bands then you'll like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inside Out, 7 April 2001
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
Conceptually and lyrically Alice Cooper has rarely reached the heights he attained with this fine album. Whether a fan of Alice, or just a lover of powerful and masterfully written music, this album will not fail to please. The thing I remember about the original vinyl release of 'From the Inside' was the superb packaging, the asylum doors which opened to reveal the manic world Alice creates, the cut-outs and hidden images. This, of course, is lost in the CD version(unless someone does a similar job to the recent 'Billion Dollar Babies' deluxe edition). The music, however, is still there to admire. The partnership with Elton John's collaborator, Bernie Taupin, has produced an album with a lighter and more complex musical direction than previous offerings (it stands head and shoulders above the less than inspiring '..Goes to Hell'), but which contains all of the drama and impact one would expect from an Alice Cooper record. The opening title track is a musical cornucopia to get the juices flowing, with its sweeping vocal harmonies and galloping rhythm. 'The Quiet Room' is a staggering composition, a moving song juxtaposed by the lyrical content. Only Alice could write such a stirring ballad about a criminally insane, suicidal, mental patient confined to a padded cell. "I just can't get these damn wrists to bleed" he sobs, as if our hearts should go out to him. 'Nurse Rosetta' sees a man of the church driven crazy by lustful infatuation with an asylum nurse. It is full of religeous/sexual imigary ("She popped the buckle off my Bible belt") and has a little prod at religeous constraints to boot. Another song dripping with irony is 'Millie and Billie', on a musical level a cheesy romantic girl/boy ballad, but underneath a chilling heart to heart between two homicidal maniacs as the cheese melts into a haunting outro. If you want rock'n'roll, then 'serious' and 'For Veronika's Sake' won't disappoint, but 'Jackknife Johnny', the obligatory tale of a Vietnam veteran, is a disappointing cliche in an otherwise truly inventive album. 'Inmates (We're All Crazy)' brings 'From the Inside' to a dramatic close. In a fitting finale to this monumental album its concept is summarised in one last song as the inmates join together to plead their case, complete with epic singalong chorus. 'From the Inside' works on many different levels, musically, lyrically, and if you really wanted to look deeply (only if) there are some poignant statements about insitutionalisation. I'm just waiting for the deluxe edition (hint, hint!).

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic in a plethora of amazing albums!, 13 Jun 2000
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
Having been a fan of "The Coop" since '70 "From The Inside" is one of his most memorable albums because it was written after experiencing life in an Asylum whilst 'drying out'. My favourite track is the title track "From The Inside" a beautifully polished smooth song and "Nurse Rosetta", can't you just picture her in that sweater. This album is not like anyhting you might come to expect from the master of macabre rock, unless your a devotee like me when you get to realise that Alice can always deliver something remarkably different when you least expect it. If you've always only ever remembered Alice for "Schools Out" or "Elected" then you MUST listen and BUY this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars sounds of the 70,s, 23 Dec 2010
Ms. N. James "south east" (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
A'h listening to this again, after so long, bought back such good memories.This is my absolute favourite album ever, by Alice Cooper. Even if you are not a particular fan of Alice, give this one a go!!! The songs are great, as are the wonderful lyrics. The 70's have to be the best decade for music, Huraah !!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Why can't I give it more than five stars?!!!!!, 13 Nov 1999
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
Finally I have found this on CD to replace my mangled, chewed up 20-year-old tape! I was never, and am still not, a big Alice Cooper fan, but this is one of the best albums of all time from anybody. Co-written by Alice and Elton John's sidekick, Bernie Taupin; the album is (I believe) written from Alice's personal experiences inside an institution (not sure if it was alcohol or psychiatric related). There's not a poor track on the album - every one literally tells a fantastic story. "Millie and Billie" is probably my favourite - it shows what some mixed-up (is that politically correct enough?) people will do for love! You can just picture "Nurse Rozetta" ("...I won't let her, catch me peering, down her sweater, secretly my eyes undress her..."). The single "How You Gonna See Me Now" should have been a big hit, but wasn't. This whole album should have been a fantastic success. If you ever trust a review then BUY THIS CD!!!. Can I review it again when I've got the CD which I'm just about to order....

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest most twisted album of all time!, 5 Feb 2000
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
Not only Alice's best,but also the most twisted.This has got to be the greatest concept? album of all time.You feel as though you know each caracter after only a few listens.Are the lyrics true!Ask Alice.Musicaly it probably wont suit rock fans ,but who cares when you can listen to some of the best song writing of the millenium.

5.0 out of 5 stars wow, 15 April 2011
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
bought this on vinyl when it came out and it sounds as fresh today as it did then. A concept album made all the more powerful for being based on Alice's real life experience while drying out. As far as 70's concept albums go, up there with Tull's passion play as a must have.

4.0 out of 5 stars a fondly remembered album, 6 Jan 2010
N. tomlinson "Argo" (united kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: From The Inside (Audio CD)
the packaging was good and the cd arrived on time,the cd case is of good quality.this album i first listened to not long after it was released,i loved it then and remembered some of the tracks,but on cd it is even better and thier are many more tracks that i love now,it is probably one of his best rock opera albums he has written,clever lyrics,raw rock and soothing balads,ten out of ten,i reccomend it to all Alice Cooper fans.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

From The Inside
From The Inside by Alice Cooper (Audio CD - 1999)