5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung Heroes
Published on 7 Mar 2007 by Thomas Grant

1.0 out of 5 stars cd keeps sticking
Not very happy with this CD kept sticking and jumping tracks, can't be bothered sending it back as it was used and did'nt cost much not worth hassle
Published 2 months ago by julie sheffieldnathan bingley

5.0 out of 5 stars Unsung Heroes, 7 Mar 2007
Thomas Grant "Tommy G" (Maidenhead, Berks) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
The Housemartins are the most underrated band of their time. Eclipsed in many ways by subsequent successes (as The Beautiful South and Fatboy Slim), they have never gained the recognition they deserved. This is the ultimate album of their finest moments - from the anthemic "Happy Hour" to less well known songs such as "Step Outside". Many of the riffs and harmonies have been borrowed by modern day artists such as The Fratellis without so much as a nod.

In an era of comeback gigs, I can only dream.

I would opt for this collection ahead of inferior and less definitive follow-ups. Simply stunning.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now That's What I Call Quite Good: Housemartins - Happy hour (and twenty minutes)..., 13 May 2011
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
Ah, The Housemartins. Forerunner of the mighty Beautiful South, and soundtrack of my childhood growing up in the Humber region in the mid eighties. Their brand of jaunty tunes with interesting lyrics that made you think is one of the biggest influences on my musical taste.

With a brief recording life that encompassed only two albums, they made many many great tunes that still hold up well today. For those who don't already have the albums separately, this is an excellent way of getting most of their best work in one place. At 24 tracks in length, it finds space for quite a comprehensive run through the catalogue.

An excellent album, in terms of value for money, choice of material and the quality of the music.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fine Introduction to a flippin' brilliant band, 31 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
I say introduction because if you've bought the albums proper i reluctantly advise that you keep your money. these are just the hits and the inclusion of Bow Down and Lean On Me (identical to those on the albums) will only leave you feeling more out of pocket. Nevertheless, I Smell Winter, Drop Down Dead together with Hopelessly Devoted To Them more than compensate for the lack of different material (some of the pre-Norman Cook rarities really should have made the cut).
For the true newbie what better insight into the band's tabloid-baiting politics than Flag Day?What sweeter introduction to Heaton gospel than I'll Be Your Shelter? You'll either press skip in disgust or love the man forever, may it be the latter

4.0 out of 5 stars Don't miss out on the Martins, 15 Oct 2001
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
This 'album' is a classic. The great thing about the Housemartins is that they don't take themselves too seriously. They are a 'happy mans The Smiths'. The first few tracks are superb, especially 'I smell Winter', 'Bow Down' and 'Sheep' but the last set of tracks, their more slower work, becomes a little samey. It says something about the music industry when their only number 1, 'Caravan of Love', is one of the poorer tracks on the CD. Worth a look (especially if you're a fan of The Smiths)

5.0 out of 5 stars Now that's what I call timeless, 7 Jan 2001
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
Although I grew up with 70's and 80's music, somehow I missed the Housemartins. Hearing this album makes me wish I had paid more attention. What strikes me the most is that so many of these tracks are as relevant and sharply observed today as they were when they were recorded. Songs such as Build, You've Got A Friend and Flag Day speak volumes. They have a certain rawness, an edgy urgency, and I firmly believe that people need to hear these works of art and vicious social commentary.

5.0 out of 5 stars Housemartings Now that's what I call quite good, 28 May 2012
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
Just what I expected - brilliant! All my favourite Housemartin songs - great for taking a trip down memory lane with no disappointment!

5.0 out of 5 stars So good I bought it twice, 30 Jan 2011
J. Harford (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
What more can I say. I played the first CD so much it wore out so have bought a second copy. LOVE IT!

5.0 out of 5 stars Housemartins Now That's What I Call Quite Good, 1 Dec 2010
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
I already had this on record, it has most of their best songs on and it's a right good enjoyable compilation.
Takes me right back to the eighties, but it still sounds good now.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best 80's albums, 20 Sep 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
Simply great.Lots of freshness in this album. Really beautiful songs and good vibrations.Maybe some other songs could have been included in it instead of some of the appearing, but otherwise, it includes songs which aren't at "London 0..." and "The people...". A real good way to know one of the 80's most original band.Definitely, Housemartins really did know the way to say goodbye with lots of style.

5.0 out of 5 stars FEEDBACK, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: Now That's What I Call Quite Good (Audio CD)
AFTER HAVING LOST MY ORIGINAL ONE, LOOKED IN HMV AND OTHER MUSIC OUTLETS THEY WERE UNABLE TO GET ME THIS. BUT AMAZON DID 10/10

Now That's What I Call Quite Good
Now That's What I Call Quite Good by Housemartins (Audio CD - 1992)