Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 September 2002
This collection of the Carpenters' love songs is excellent for anyone who loves any type of music. Possibly the only band who can count both Sonic Youth and members of Steps as their fans, their perfomances on every song are second to none. The more upbeat songs, such as "Close To You" and "Top Of The World" are pleasant enough, but in my opinion, it is on the more angst-ridden songs where they excell. Like it says in "All You Get From Love Is A love Song", 'the best love songs are written with a broken heart'. "Rainy Days and Mondays", "Superstar" and "This Masquerade" are all perfect, and my personal favourite, "A Song For You", is the ultimate song that sums up all of the emotions which love encompasses. The Carpenters manage to do melancholy without the pretentiousness-trap that so many others fall into. Perhaps the main reason for this is Karen's amazing voice. All of the words I want to use to describe it have been used before, but quite simply, she had one of the most gorgeous voices in the world, and she squeezed all of the emotion from every word she sang. Also, credit has to be given to Richard Carpenter, because he is a musical genius, whose skills for arrangement and piano playing are largely what makes their music what it is.
As someone born in the same year that Karen Carpenter died, I am baffled as to why The Carpenters are not as idolised as much as the likes of The Beatles by people of my generation, or older than myself. The songs are classics, and do not sound dated at all. I would reccommend this album to anyone, especially those who are not familiar with the Carpenters, as it gives a perfect introduction to the talent that they posessed.
on 15 November 1999
What an incredibly beautiful voice. You can't help but become totally engrossed in this album. Her voice is exquisite and carries you through the lyrics effortlessly. This album contains a great selection of tunes which work very well with The Carpenters. Their talent for mastering the slow, sentimental song is unrivalled, and this album displays this fact perfectly. "We've Only Just Begun" is excellent. My favourite has to be the classic "Close to You". Not only is this sung beautifully, but the tempo is fun and the words are endearing. Wonderful stuff.
on 14 July 2001
This CD is a must for every collection . THe lyrics breathe sincerity and speak from the heart. Anyone who has ever been in love will find meaning in the songs and it is one of those CDs that you play to make you feel that you are not the only person who has ever felt how you feel. A song for you is a particular favourite and speaks volumes for love - I defy anyone to not feel moved by it. Absolutely excellent CD!!!!!
What songs. What arrangements. Of course the voice of Karen Carpenter is front and centre of everything, and still one of the most naturally expressive we'll ever hear. There is still a stigma attached to liking the Carpenters that I can sort of understand; but when I listen again to mini epics such as 'Goodbye to Love' (Tony Peluso's abrasive guitar alongside Karen's glowing tone) and 'Only Yesterday' (beautifully layered vocal overdubs) I feel thoroughly peeved, to say the least!

This is a perfect starter album for anyone curious to hear why there are many of us who have had to keep secret our admiration of their talent, and who still adore and dearly miss Karen's delicious sound. Most of Richard's most brilliant arrangements are here.

A fabulous collection.
on 15 November 2012
Why is it that The Carpenters are often mocked and ridiculed by certain critics and trendy music commentators ? Is it because these individuals have never actually bothered to give them a fair listen or is it that they are terrified of looking 'uncool' ? Perhaps the reality is that they cannot (or refuse to )recognise musical greatness and beauty !

This superb collection of 20 songs lasts 76+ minutes in duration and is full of classics that have become a part of our musical culture and landscape over the course of the last several decades .I don't wish to start listing and commentating on all of the songs, because others have already adequately done so, but I will say that this collection contains almost all of their classics (except a few notables) including the following ; 'There's a Kind of a Hush' ,'Jambalaya' , 'Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft' and 'Please Mr Postman '.

The instrumentation ,musicianship ,arrangements and production are unsurpassed .The songs are often tinged with a certain melancholic quality and of course who was more suited to express the sentiments of these songs than the late , great Karen Carpenter ? There is genuine musical beauty to be found throughout this fine collection of love themed songs . This is a great CD to have in anyone's collection and I wouldn't be too surprised if at least some of those who have criticised The Carpenters and their music have a copy of their own hidden from view but enjoyed (when no one is around ) as a "guilty" pleasure !
on 15 October 2009
Love Songs. i was abit unsure if i wanted to listen to 20 love songs by the carpenters, even though i have a few carpenters cds, but this cd is just outstanding, every song can stand up on its own and with the voice of karen it just makes it even better. the voice of an angel..what more could you ever want.every song karen sings just flows so well and the whole cd should be in your collection, even if you are not a great fan of the music you will find you will love every track and every second of this cd and just sit back with a glass of wine and let the voice of this angel flow over you. get this cd and enjoy............
on 4 May 2016
Memories don't come much more poignent than this, for me at any rate. I had just been ' dear johnned' by my girl friend while I was on active service, and my world fell apart.
But through it all came the sound of the carpenters like an audio emollient to gradually ease away the pain and loneliness.
Little did I know of the troubles the capenters were going through, and the breakdown of Karen's marriage, her anorexia, and eventual death, and Richard's dependency on sleeping pills which caused his need to get to rehab. It puts my woes into persepctive.

However I still feel a little sad, listening to Karen's voice even now. It was unique that deep sound, into which she packed so much expression is still there, as clear as ever.
And the recordings are still as good as anything recent.
Believe me, I've got a good system and the recordings are an example recording at it's very best, with excellent bass, clear mid range, and scintillating treble and not hint of bright glassy sound that makes me long for Black Vinyl!

I suppose if I were to sit and listen to the whole disc time and again I would begin to hear little things, but I've had the vinyl for 45 years and I haven't found it yet.

If you like the Carpenters style of music there's no reason that you can't hear it all again in very high quality sound!
It's cheap enough.
on 6 September 2012
Karen Carpenter had the best voice in the world and no one has come as close to it yet.I have been a fan since 1971.
on 22 July 2013
I went to an outdoor Carpenters tribute band concert with two friends who already had the Greatest Hits album. This one was perfect as a thank you present (we stayed with them for the weekend) and I will probably end up buying it myself. Order arrived extremely promptly and in perfect condition.
on 9 July 2013
What a loss at such an early age but this album brings us the pure voice of an angel in so many memorable love songs. There will never be another Karen Carpenter but her songs and voice will last for many years, pure magic.