5.0 out of 5 stars "I ADMIT IT... WHAT'S TO SAY... I RELIVE IT... WITHOUT PAIN"
1991- Nothing but a glut of Guns `n' Roses generic rip-offs that the kids are listening to on the radio and MTV. At the time I was 15 years old and I was listening to U2 and R.E.M. that I loved and still do but then the skies cleared and like manna from heaven Pearl Jam's `Ten' appeared. I bought this album, listened to it, and my musical universe expanded.

If...
Published on 24 Sep 2006 by Nobody

3.0 out of 5 stars Surely they can do better than this?
Firstly let me say that I'm a massive fan of Pearl Jam and I think the original Ten is a masterpiece.

However, this edition has major problems. Firstly the first disc, the remastered disc, sounds worse than the original pressing. This is due to the disc being mastered about 4 dBa louder than the original, and to do this the dynamic range had to be compressed...
Published on 9 April 2009 by David Powell

5.0 out of 5 stars "I ADMIT IT... WHAT'S TO SAY... I RELIVE IT... WITHOUT PAIN", 24 Sep 2006
Nobody (London, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)

If you are not familiar with `Ten' then all I will say is that it sounds like a blend of seventies rock with heart of punk in particular post-punk bands of the American Underground in the eighties. Bands like Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Doors, Kiss, Husker Du, Minor Threat, Fugazi, Black Flag, X, Mission of Burma as well as artists like U2, Bruce Springsteen, Neil Young and Jethro Tull all went into the making of `Ten'. This album was a result of music being able to grow and develop without the snobbery that often pervades many underground scenes. That snobbery is the reason why Pearl Jam came in for some unjustified criticism from certain quarters.

`Ten' is the biggest selling record of the grunge scene and it's no secret as to why it was so successful. Here was a record that spoke directly and honestly to every disenfranchised kid who was struggling to be heard by parents, teachers and even peers without being nihilistic or preachy. In a post-modern age where there is nothing really to believe in except nothing, `Ten' instilled in me the belief that music is the only thing that really matters and can feel a part of while still being completely alone. This album got me into the many, many other bands that may be greater, but `Ten' was the portal through which I passed and for a brief period in the early nineties we had our 1967 or 1976 and I only hope that today's new music fans will have theirs.

This album is the reason why I have since then spent a fortune on records. I have bought 2500 records since `Ten' in the hope that I would find another that would move me like this did and I've not been disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still the best, 19 Feb 2004
D. Q. RAMOS (Sintra, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TEN (+ 3 Bonus Tracks) (Audio CD)
Pearl Jam's debut album, although becoming distant in the past, became a legend among the new coming grunge / hard rock bands back in the early 90s.
A timeless album, a mark in every rocker's collection. Even after all this years, this is the ONE album, the best Pearl Jam album ever (in my opinion, of course).
Timeless songs like Even Flow, Alive, Black, Oceans, Jeremy, Wash... i could go on and on until i reached the entire album song list.
After 10... never did Pearl Jam achieve this unique feeling of power and balance in one album.
Black and Oceans are my favorite songs ever and the lyrics... pure poetry. You could write the songs of this album in a poetry book, a heavy, disturbing poetry book... unforgetable, unavoidable...
Simple unique.

5.0 out of 5 stars MY FIRST EVER ROCK ALBUM- AND STILL THE BEST, 16 Nov 2005
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)
In 1994 this album was given to me by my Dad when I was just 4 years old, it was my first ever heavy album.
Eleven years later, I have aquired a collection of over 500 albums, and even after 11 years had gone by, this is still one of my favorite albums ever.
The songs on this album are amazing. Eddie Vedder, the singer, has an incredible voice and he is one of the coolest people ever. The guitar on this album rocks. There is a brilliant contrast of bittersweet lyrics and heavy songs.
If you like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Chili Peppers or even Guns N roses you will love this album. It has a unique quality though that is unlike any other band. You need this album in your life whoever or wherever you are.
This album includes most of the classic Pearl Jam songs. If I could own only one album this would be it.
This album really deseves 5 stars and it deserves to be heard.

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest album ever ! Buy it now, 29 July 2000
red.two@virgin.net (Nick Brown from Berkhamsted ,England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)
This album is so amazing. There are so many classic Pearl Jam songs on what I view as their best album. Black is such an amazing tune but Eddie Vedders voice really makes it. The feel good tune that is Alive is guranteed to brighten even the worst of days. I've owned this album for 5 years now and I never tire of it. If i could own only one album this would be it. I love Pearl Jam and have the other Albums which vary in quality but this is probably their best. If you ever have the chance watch Mtvs pearl Jam unplugged and listen to the Live version of Black. Buy Ten, It is so good !

5.0 out of 5 stars In responce to Ramsey Tupper's Ghost, Lucy Furlips, Mr. Bus, Benny Fitz and Gerry Mandarin, 14 Aug 2009
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)
Some fool rated 'Ten' 2 out of. I'm not one to knock someones opinion but it was so factually wrong I felt the need to respond! Pearl Jam were not influenced by Bush(Ten was recorded in 1991, Bush formed in 1992 and did not release until 1994!) The members of Pearl Jam had been playing together since the early/mid 80's and if you care to trace their sound it's pretty consistant only productions and playing improve over the years. No where does it say 'Ten' is ment to be a miserable album either - they never claimed to be, or thier music...

Ten is a definative album of the era and still sounds amazing today and they more than likely inspired Bush.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviewing the extras, 20 April 2009
J. Groom (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)
Like one of the previous reviewers I'm reviewing this based on whether as a big fan of the band its worth paying for the extras and remixes if you already own the original classic debut.
There seems to be mixed feelings about the remixes. I don't know about the technical details but I know that the redux version by Brendan O'Brien sounds great. Finally when you make a mix CD the tracks from Ten aren't quieter than the others. Also the sound is much clearer without the heavy reverb of the original. But.... they are different to the versions of Alive, Evenflow etc that were remixed (again by Brendan O'Brien) for the Greatest Hits collection not long ago. And... I think I prefer the versions from this collection - they had little extra vocal bits and slightly different sounding intros sometimes. Just a matter of personal preference I suppose.
Extra tracks in my opinion are not going to hold the attention of even the most die-hard fan for long. The exception to this is Brother (with lyrics that were absent from the Lost Dogs version) which is pretty good.
The DVD of MTV Unplugged looks and sounds great. I've never seen it and it was great to see the band at such an early stage - a little shyer but sounding fantastic. I loved the end when Eddie and Jeff go a bit crazy and get up on their stools and of course the comedy moment previously where Eddie falls off his stool. Well worth having.
The booklet was very dissapointing. I was hoping for some freshly penned liner notes from the band recounting their experiences and mindset when forming the band and creating the album. Instead we get a bunch of arty photos and scribbles and old posters for early gigs with the likes of Alice in Chains and the Screaming Trees amongst others. Mildly interesting but nothing out of the ordinary.
The price tag is possibly a little steep here as well I feel, given that its basically a special edition of the album (do we really need two different versions?) with a DVD and some fancy packaging. I think maybe 15-17 would have been a little more reasonable.
So overall I really like the remix and the DVD but with the other extras being a little bit dissapointing - and the hefty price tag I rate it four stars overall (but obviously the album itself is a five-star classic).

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply, one of those albums you HAVE to have., 9 Mar 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)
There is no doubt about it, there is a lot of great music out there. My niche is rock music, and I've heard lots of underground music, and lots of mainstream music as well. And although there is a lot of talent out there, every once in a while bands release albums that in themselves are pure genius. In Pearl Jam's case this album is 'Ten'.
This album had the same sort of impact on the music industry as say Metallica's Black album, Nirvana's Nevermind, Rage Against The Machine's first album...(The list goes on, but it has been shortened to my taste).
I fail to see how anyone can call themselves a rock fan, and not own this album. I do own all 7 of Pearl Jam's albums - and am a great fan of their work, and although due to my personal tastes I prefer the album 'No Code', 'Ten' is just simply a work of art. It is one of the most coherent albums I've ever heard, and it defines solely what 'grunge' is. For all you kids out there who like grunge music - this is your bible!
Admittedly there are songs on here, that if taken away from context of the album would be a bit scatty and mediocre. But when you listen to the album from Track 1 through to Track 11 (Master/Slave is not a seperate track unlike what is advertised above) the album is nothing short of spectacular. There is nothing quite like 'Ten' on the market, not even Pearl Jam themselves could re-create it in 10 long years. I could go on...but I won't. The albums speaks for itself, it is as close to perfect grunge as you might want to be.
Buy it, silly people!

5.0 out of 5 stars good album, 18 Feb 2005
This review is from: Ten (Audio CD)
this is a bloody good album. my favorite non live pearl jam release. i find alot of other albums lack the enthusiasm unlike this one, however songs from other albums do sound 10x better live in most cases but here, all these songs sound great as they are. if you dont get this i highly reccomend the best of (rearview mirror) because that does have alot of songs from this album and some unreleased that really stand out as superior.
this is definatly a must have rock classic thatl never get old. keep the music alive. thanks for reading

5.0 out of 5 stars Ten as it was meant to be heard, 25 Mar 2009
A. J. Norman "Alex Zelx" (Westcliff-on-Sea, Essex) - See all my reviews
I'm only commenting on the Brendan O'Brien remix and MTV Unplugged sections:

Ten [remixed by Brendan O'Brien]

When Ten first broke onto the scene, we embraced Rick Parasher's reverb heavy, anthemic sounding production values. But it soon became clear via bootlegs of the band's live shows, that Pearl Jam's sound was actually far much more raw, blistering and in-yer-face.

Producer Brendan O' Brien took over the reigns for subsequent albums and the real Pearl Jam sound was finally captured. I was a very happy man when I heard O' Brien was going to remix Ten and having heard what he did with Once, Alive and Black on the Rearviewmirror album, I couldn't wait to hear how the rest of the album sounded.

When hearing the band live for the first time it became apparent that the drumming had taken on a new lease of life with the acquisition of Texan Dave Abbruzzese, who replaced Dave Krusen, the original drummer from the Ten recording. There's no Abbruzesse on the remix, but the drumming is clearer and packs more punch. The guitars have extra nuances that got lost on the original and the vocals are more natural allowing Vedder's intensity and emotions to shine through. The remix does a far better job at recreating the sound of the band by keeping it stripped down with less studio effects.

The original Jeremy worked really well with the anthemic sound, but the remixed version allows you to hear the complexities of the arrangement much clearer - it almost sounds like the band have gone from a stadium to a sound proof room.

An essential purchase for audiophiles and hardcore Pearl Jam fans who want to continue listening to a classic album as it was meant to be heard.

Unplugged

Pearl Jam's MTV Unplugged session has long been a favourite moment of mine in the band's history. The band recorded this in New York on the back of heavy touring of Europe and it was a chance to show the masses just how talented they were. The songs had been perfected and honed from countless gigs and Vedder's baritone, rasping vocals were at their finest. It was highlighted just how good and technical drummer Dave Abbruzesse was - at times it sounds as if he has four arms due to the amount of cymbals he is hitting. This is none more evident than on Porch, one of the highlights of the show. State of Love and Trust and Black have never sounded so good - this session really demonstrates the power and quality of the whole band, in particular Vedder and Abbruzzese. A fantastic purchase for any Pearl Jam/rock music fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply fantastic!, 9 May 2009
David Domingues (Lisbon, Portugal) - See all my reviews
How can i say about it? When i received it at my home, i was first tottaly amazed just looking at the package :) When i opened it, it was a surprise over a surprise...i don't want to get into details of what its in it, i don't want to spoil it for people that haven't got it. I can only say that it's worth every penny i payed for it. Hell, i think that i would payed twice as much, after looking what this deluxe editon has, it's simply amazing! It made me feel like i was 16 again, listening to Pearl Jam for the very first time. If you have the chance and the money, don't hesitate. Spoiler alert: do you remember what was PJ first name? I can only say that the package contains am amazing NBA original card of a Nets player wearing a number 10 shirt...

TEN (+ 3 Bonus Tracks)
TEN (+ 3 Bonus Tracks) by Pearl Jam (Audio CD - 2004)