Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop Cyber Monday Deals Week in Fashion Amazon Fire TV Shop now DIYED Shop now Shop Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Paperwhite Listen in Prime Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos

Format: Audio CDChange

on 11 September 2011
I have listened to this complete album many times on my Ipod, so its a great pleasure to review it.

1. Talk Talk : This song gets straight down to business and outlines where the album, (and indeed the first two albums) are heading. Short and sweet!

2. It's So Serious :
"I've given everything with nothing in return."
Hot on the heels from Talk Talk this is another great song. Not quite as veoricous, yet another good song none the less. The, "Its so serious," tag line, (very drawn out), stays in your head after listening to this song. There's a short middle part, which is wonderfully modest and works well as the song goes back into the ending chorus, ("Its so serious, its so serious.")

3. Today : Apparently this is Talk Talk's biggest selling single. Its an up tempo song along parallel lines to their first album song, Talk Talk. (Incidentally the video for Today is great too). Towards the end of the song there's a very effective slowing down which just makes the song seem even more powerful.

4. The Party's Over : Right off the bat there's a great couple of riffs. In fact like a lot of Talk Talk songs its hard to make out the lyrics. Maybe that's intentional? Yet for me, it doesn't take away from the enjoyment, (maybe it adds to it!) The keyboard which comes in after the verses is amazing and really lifts the song, (to its elongated end).

5. Hate : I absolutely love this song. It has a very haunting start, (brought about by the keyboard). After the lull of The Party's Over it quickly builds up the tempo again, (to that of the first three songs). When you listen to this song on an Ipod the ending is absolutely fantastic and makes a contender for the best song of the album.

6. Have You Heard The News : After all that velocity, proceedings slow down again. It took me several listens to get into this song, but its another stella offering.
"I don't like to read the news," (its the way that its sung).
"I'm so disposable you can throw me away."
The riff sends shivers down my spine!

7. Mirror Man : I like the start and the singer comes in exactly on cue and then he does exactly the same at the start of the second verse, (text book in the singing world!) After the second verse I don't feel though that this a song for me.

8. Another Word : I love the electric drums right at the start! This song just proves that only a handful of songs on Talk Talk's first album aren't fast and upbeat. Its a great song. I can imagine people singing along to the chorus and I love how it goes into an instrumental, breaks everything down and then finishes off on high tempo.

9. Candy : After all that excitment Talk Talk finish their first album on a low, (well lower) tempo. Personally I always skip this song on my Ipod,. (The weakest out of the lot and in fact probably the only bad song on the album).

I would have given this album four and half stars out of five if that were possible, (it doesn't quite warrant five stars. - Which album does?!) It has to be said that the singer's voice is absolutely fantastic, (and I can't honestly think of a compartable singer in today's "Music," market). I feel Talk Talk's first two albums are fantastic and then they steadily go down hill thereafter. - A definite purchase for a Talk Talk fan and a music lover of the 80s who wants to deleve in the real music from that era.
on 31 May 2011
The Talk Talk story really should begin with the underrated It's My Life, a good to great album that preceded a run of three masterpieces. Sadly it doesn't and instead we have somehow to deal with The Party's Over. Taken on it's own merits this is an OK early 80's pop album, it's relative lack of success down simply to the fact that it wasn't good enough at the time. It's by no means an embarrassment but it contains no visible signs of the greatness Talk Talk would achieve.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 December 2012
This is a group who I miss getting new releases from, I like every thing they did both live and from recorded sessions
on 26 May 2011
This is a really good album, my favourite tracks on the album are Talk Talk, It"s So Serious and Today
on 10 June 2009
Talk Talk fans seem to be divided into two camps. Those that like the first album and a few of the later single tracks, or those who just like the later album tracks and ignore the early stuff. I fall into the former category, as I find the "soundscapes" - you can hardly call them songs - of the later albums to be just so much pretentious rubbish.

This then, is their debut album - retitled, remastered and on CD - but with no extra tracks. Each track is a catchy synthpop song, and particularly worthy of note are "Talk Talk" and "Today". I'm only giving this a four star review rather than five, because I'm sure there must be a few outtakes in the archives that could have made this a more worthwhile CD release.

After this came the fairly memorable second album, then the dismal muso nonsense of the later albums.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 March 2014
This is the album I always come back to by Talk Talk.
I know I 'should' love the others more - everyone says so, but it's just such a guilty pleasure.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 November 2010
This is a review of the remastered CD. It is thirty-seven minutes long: there are no extras.

When Talk Talk's debut album first came out in 1982, Melody Maker described it as, "Somewhere between Duran Duran and The Moody Blues". It was probably meant as a put-down, but since I liked both groups - the former not as much as the latter - for me, this was a compliment. Record Mirror's review described it as, "The bland leading the bland down a foggy thoroughfare of synthesised nothingness." One can perhaps understand the sense of exhaustion at the prospect of another synth-led band on the pop scene of that year, but `bland' is not really a word I would use for Talk Talk.

This is the Colin Thurston-produced, pre-Tim Friese-Green Talk Talk. Thurston is not credited due, apparently, to a falling-out with the band, but his production is very imaginative, such as the oriental touch that appears midway through the title track. There are echoes of other 1980s bands such as OMD (in the feel of the repeated background arpeggios of `It's So Serious') and the hit `Today' bears the hallmarks of what would become the sound of A-Ha. There is even an echo of Duran Duran in the opening to `Have You Heard The News?'. `Mirror Man' is the odd one out on this album, betraying its early origins in the band's development with its basic electronics. Unfortunately, the string players remain uncredited. Did they also upset the band?

Most of the songs are likeable; none are really loveable. Four - tracks five to eight - are adequate: `Hate' lacks subtlety, `Have You Heard The News?' is tedious in its chorus, whilst `Another Word' (the only track without a co-writing credit of Mark Hollis) feels like a sing-along. Hollis himself sings as if he has a chip on his shoulder. His lines tend to be personal and obscure as to their meaning. He is sometimes melancholic, more often full of rage, with lots of moralising thrown in to the mix. His mumbling style would on later albums be taken to inordinate - and ultimately for this reviewer - repulsive lengths.

Overall then, not a bad beginning, and things would get better over the following two albums before the band's own ethos of miserabilism would cause it to collapse in on its own pyre of loathing.
on 26 September 2008
To begin with, I would like to state that I am one of Talk Talk's biggest fans and the gig I attended at Hammersmith Odeon in 1986 remains the best concert I have ever been to. However, there is no point in writing a favourable review for an LP simply because you like the band that recorded it. I don't recall Talk Talk playing any tracks from this album at Hammersmith - they had already recorded 'It's My Life' and 'The Colour of Spring' by this time, and the omission of any debut album material tells you all you need to know...the band had moved on in terms of maturity and depth. I really liked 'The Party's Over' when it first came out, but it just hasn't stood the test of time like their later material. The album starts with the eponymous 'Talk Talk' which is the best track. This is followed by It's So Serious which is the b-side of their third single 'Today'. It's not a bad b-side but it marks the start of an irritating and recurring theme on this album which is vocal lines that go 'Ohhhhhohowohhhwo'. The song' Today' is typical of its era - not bad, slight overtones of Bronski Beat with a lower voice. 'The Party's Over' is an electronic ballad - a bit of passion in the execution of the line 'name the crime I'm guilty of' but otherwise quite forgettable. 'Hate' is certainly one of the better tracks...if the tempo was slightly faster and the production more full-on it could be a standout. 'Another Word' was actually released as a single in Europe but it's difficult to understand why. The chorus line is "Woooor---oor---oor---oor--or-or--d'. I guess it's quite catchy but it is also very shallow. I almost forgot to mention the debut single 'Mirror Man'. It is quite well executed but somewhat contrived with its quaint little violin tweaks...and the 'oh-ho-ho-oh' vocal lines are back with a vengeance! The album finishes with another electro-ballad 'Candy' - the drum sequence is OK but it's a largely forgettable song which conveniently takes up quite a bit of playing time. Frankly, there were many worse debut albums recorded in this period, but given the heights that Talk Talk rose to, it is probably best forgotten. If you're really into Talk Talk, it's worth having but otherwise you might as well buy a remix compilation containing an extended version of 'Talk Talk'. At their best, this band can produce music that is both original and elegantly crafted - sadly this is neither! The party is over and in the morning you will struggle to remember the highlights.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse