5.0 out of 5 stars Typical romantic albums from Peggy � pure magic, 5 Nov 2004
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Man I Love / If You Go (Audio CD)
The first, arranged by Nelson Riddle and conducted by Frank Sinatra (an interesting combination that works well) was recorded in 1957. An earlier reviewer on the USA site suggests that Peggy was then just an up-and-coming singer, but all true Peggy fans know that she began her career with Benny Goodman in 1941 and went on to become a major solo singer of the late forties and early fifties, so she was firmly established by 1957.
That 1957 album opens with The man I love, written by George and Ira Gershwin and is filled with songs from the Great American Songbook, some of them obscure, but including That's all and Something wonderful. It closes with a song that is always identified with Peggy - The folks who live on the hill.
The second album was recorded in 1961 and was arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones - yes, the same man who produced many of Lesley Gore's records including It's my party, and achieved worldwide fame as producer of Michael Jackson's Thriller, among many other things.
This is another collection of songs from the Great American Songbook, the most famous being As time goes by, I get along without you very well and Smile.
Just a warning - don't play this if you're tired - you might fall asleep! At no stage does the tempo rise very much - every song here was selected to showcase Peggy's sexy, seductive voice at it's most romantic. There are some albums on which Peggy likes to swing a bit, but you won't find any of that here. Try Pass me by/Big spender if you want something more upbeat.
Get in a romantic mood - buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peggy Lee sings The Man I Love & If You Go double album CD, 18 Dec 2010
Dr. H. A. Jones "Howard Jones" (Wales, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Peggy Lee sings The Man I Love & If You Go, double album CD

In the first of these albums, recorded in 1957, the orchestra and arrangements are those of Nelson Riddle, but for the recording session the orchestra was conducted by Frank Sinatra. This was not the first recording Sinatra had made with the baton. That was for a little heard recording Frank Sinatra Conducts Alec Wilder, recorded 1946 and one of the first 10 inch LPs released by Columbia in 1948.
The Peggy Lee disc is strictly for romantics! Both LPs were slow and distinctly sensuous renditions of (mostly) standards with only a couple of tunes I hadn't heard before. The Man I Love includes Gershwin, Berlin, Cahn and Chaplin, Rodgers and Hart, Kern and Hammerstein, Arlen and Harburg and other composers. Peggy Lee's renditions of `The man I love' and `The folks who live on the hill' have become classics, the latter as the first of two arrangements of the piece by Nelson Riddle (the other was for Kiri te Kanawa).
The backing on If You Go, released in 1960, was arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones. There are two more Berlin numbers here (Say it isn't so, Maybe it's because I love you too much) and tunes that became better known in other arrangements: I get along without you very well (Nelson Riddle), Here's that rainy day (Sinatra, Singers Unlimited with Oscar Peterson) and I'm gonna laugh you right out of my life which, like `Smile' and `Say it isn't so' became more popular through the Nat `King' Cole versions. This part of the CD transfer also contains a song written by Peggy Lee herself with Harry Sukman, `I love your gypsy heart'.
This is a lovely disc for late night or romantic listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peggy Lee - In the mood for love, 24 Jun 2010
This review is from: The Man I Love / If You Go (Audio CD)
I think this is one of the most romantic CDs I've ever listened to. The first CD was arranged by Nelson Riddle and conducted by Frank Sinatra. It's lush, sumptuous and romantic (as you would expect from Mr Sinatra). It has a lot of strings-laden ballads. In every track, she effortlessly demonstrates creative phrasing that is both emotional and impeccable. In her unique style, she executes a hushed and sensual tone in each ballad.

The second part of the CD - "If You Go" arranged and conducted by Quincy Jones - has a different mood and atmosphere to it. It's a bit more jazzy, sedate, elegant and wistful compared to the first part of the CD. The strings accompanied here are more understated. I love her version of "As time goes by" but I thought her rendition of "Smile" is slightly too fast for my liking. But it's such a romantic and sensual album. Highly recommend it.

4.0 out of 5 stars That's all, 25 Sep 2013
Eric Mascarin Perigault (Panamá) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Man I Love / If You Go (Audio CD)
Peggy has a nice, sweet voice. But these two albums gathered on a CD does not have the best arrangements and the best songs. The sound is not the best quality either. But worth having.

Peggy tiene una linda y dulce voz. Pero en estos dos discos reunidos en un CD no tiene los mejores arreglos ni las mejores canciones. El sonido no es de la mejor calidad tampoco. Pero vale la pena tenerlo.

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 6 Sep 2014
Two of Peggy Lee's best albums

The Man I Love / If You Go
The Man I Love / If You Go by Peggy Lee (Audio CD - 1997)