5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Collection
Published on 16 Jun 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not Her Best Album!!!!
I read the reviews and thought 'I have to have this!...It must be an excellent album!' and I could hardly wait for it to arrive!
I played it through and....I was never as disappointed with a CD before than I was with this one!
Published on 12 Sep 2003

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Collection, 16 Jun 2002
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
This is an essential collection for any Sarah McLachlan fan, she has done 4 amazing covers here: Dear God, Gloomy Sunday, Song for a Winter's Night and Blue (which also appears as bonus track on 'Fumbling Towards Ecstasy'). All of these 4 songs are sang in her usual emotional and energetic performance style; 'Dear God' is a very cool cover for the XTC song, and the rockest thing I have ever heard from Sarah McLachlan (well, deep inside she is never a hard rocker anyway). 'Gloomy Sunday' is a haunting song, Sarah McLachlan's cover for this song gets me more upset than listenning to Bjork and Heather Nova's covers, as sadness is what the song's meant to be, another great cover it is! 'Song for a Winter's Night' is heart warming and cute, it's exceptional how Sarah McLachlan could make songs that were meant to be 'boring' sounds cool. 'Blue' is a late Joni Mitchell song, as I'm also quite fond of Joni Mitchell, got to say that I like the both version equally. Apart from the covers, there are some remix that any Sarah fan could identify with. After saying all this, I just have to emphasis again how good the cover of 'Dear God' is, hear it for yourself!

5.0 out of 5 stars B-sides? I think not!, 16 Dec 2004
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
Sarah McLachlan has produced some of the most incredible pop music I have come across. She is soulful, honest, her voice is incredible, lyrics are intelligent, and she even sings in tune - a complete musical experience. This album is one that is rarely spoken about, yet it contains some of what I consider to be her best songs. "Dear God" is very cleverly worded and captures perfectly the sentiment Sarah wishes to convey. "I Will Remember You" is a very popular song that features on another album as well. "Gloomy Sunday" is filled with intense despair yet somehow sits lightly on the soul. "Song for a Winter's Night" is a beautiful love song; not the corny kind - it sort of meanders through your consciousness and feels very Canadian with talk of wintry cold and softly falling snow. "Blue" is another gorgeous track, but nothing, in my mind, can ever beat Sarah's track of all tracks - "Possession". This album is an investment, and if you like any of Sarah's other work, you are bound to enjoy this album - it may be called "B-sides", however this is premium quality stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars B-sides? I think not!, 16 Dec 2004
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
Sarah McLachlan has produced some of the most incredible pop music I have come across. She is soulful, honest, her voice is incredible, lyrics are intelligent, and she even sings in tune - a complete musical experience. This album is one that is rarely spoken about, yet it contains some of what I consider to be her best songs. "Dear God" is very cleverly worded and captures perfectly the sentiment Sarah wishes to convey. "I Will Remember You" is a very popular song that features on another album as well. "Gloomy Sunday" is filled with intense despair yet somehow sits lightly on the soul. "Song for a Winter's Night" is a beautiful love song; not the corny kind - it sort of meanders through your consciousness and feels very Canadian with talk of wintry cold and softly falling snow. Blue is another gorgeous track, but nothing, in my mind, can ever beat Sarah's track of all tracks - Possession. This album is an investment, and if you like any of Sarah's other work, you are bound to enjoy this album - it may be called "B-sides", however this is premium quality stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gamble which paid off, 14 Aug 2010
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
It's my gamble, not Sarah McLachlan's, so I'm pleased it paid off. I did wonder for a long time whether it would be a letdown, but sometimes you have to take a chance. Having said that, I am biased, as I think she is a very special artist - and vastly underrated on this side of the Atlantic.

This is an absolute gem and I love all the tracks. The reworkings are wonderful and the songs which were previously released are given fresh life. The big plus, for me, is her interpretation of other artists' music. I know her version of "Blue" is very, very good, but the sainted Gordon Lightfoot's "Song For A Winter's Night" is the stand-out track for me, with the lush vocals and a complete overhauled arrangement - a masterpiece.

As for the other tracks, the remixes, live stuff... well, they are just outstanding that I can't understand why I was so reluctant to buy this album.

Brilliant production, mixing and musicianship, all of which enhance Sarah's already brilliant voice. I loved this album so much, I bought volume 2, which is nearly as great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soothing Album, 26 Aug 2000
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
I was already a sarah McLachlan fan when I bought this album, first hearing her work on tv shows like Due South and X-Files. In a lot of ways this album is simialr to her others, but there is defnitely something about it, which seperates it from her other albums, songs like Winters Night, full of grace, are so relaxing. I can turn on this CD tense or upset or happy and I always fel better after listening to it. If you like her other work, or artists like Tara MacLean or Natalie Merchant, you should definitely get this CD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Album!, 5 Feb 2000
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
I am admitadly an absolutely huge Sarah Mclachlan fan, but I can say that this album really is great. It has lots of different songs, which means that it has something for most people. So trust me when I say, if you like slow, beautiful music sung by someone with an absolutely fantastic voice, then this is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Different take but still brilliane, 2 May 2013
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
I have Rarities, B-sides, & Other Stuff B sides and it is one of my favourite albums. The one I go to when I just need to listen to some good quality music, beautiful vocals, and interesting mix-up of collaborations.

Initially on listening to this I was a little taken aback as it has a more upbeat, dance type vibe to it, however on a second listen Sarah's voice marries well with the music and the up-tempo beats and the album has become a firm fixture in my car for slightly longer journeys.

2.0 out of 5 stars Definitely Not Her Best Album!!!!, 12 Sep 2003
This review is from: Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff (Audio CD)
The only songs I like were those that I already had on other CD's like 'I will remember you'! Some of the songs had a bit of a techno/rave feel to them, something you do not expect from Sarah McLachlan!
I tried giving it away to 2 other people I know who like her music and they didn't want it - they thought as much of it as I did, so I went the next day and traded it in!!
Definitely not a good buy!!....it doesn't do her justice!!

Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff
Rarities, B-Sides, & Other Stuff by Sarah McLachlan (Audio CD - 1998)