5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!
Published on 15 Oct 2009 by John

3.0 out of 5 stars A Cagey Review
Thought it was time I had a least 1 album from the welsh rock legends that are Budgie. So the best of was an obvious choice, shame I didn't check out the track listing first as "I turned to Stone" an absolute epic track has been ommited from this album. So quite disapointed overall, some tracks better than others but to be honest its all kind of mediocre.
Published on 16 Jun 2010 by Jonathan P. Simpson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff!, 15 Oct 2009
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
I had been looking at buying this for a while having been reminded about them probably by Amazon when purchasing other rock albums of that era. The first and last time I saw Budgie was at Reading festival back in 1980, they sounded OK but weren't a band I'd knew of at the time so didnt really appreciate them as much as I should have. So, reading the reviews on here I decided to have another listen, always looking for new 'old' stuff from years gone by, and I've got to say, the music really hits the spot and I've only played the CD right through the once! "Parents" stood out as did Napoleon Bona Part I & II.
To say they are Heavy Metal rather does them an injustice, they are much more subtle than that suggests, some of it is quite "Bluesy" whilst some reminded me of "Wings" and even "T-Rex" (That might just be me though)?
The vocals are very distinctive and might not be to everyones taste but, none the less, if you're like me and like to find some more obscure rock bands to add to your collection then I would definetly recommend it! I'll probably add one or two more of their albums to my collection on the strength of this album.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heavy seventies rock at its best!, 11 Jan 2001
Mr. R. Szweda "royzee" (mk uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
Budgie are one of the forgotten 'heroes' of seventies heavy rock. They paid they dues, wrote some good songs and some good-ish albums. The covers were what attracted most people when perusing the record racks: evocative, Sci-Fi paintings by Roger Dean. A shame that this album has such a boring cover - the Budgie crew were not exactly handsome chaps at the best of times.... but could they rock!
I recall an excellent gig they did - one of so many for this busy band - in Northampton back in the early-ish seventies... hot sweaty, loud, powerful stuff. Many of the highlights of their set and their career are on this album - I particularly like the track 'Breadfan'.... the bass belts out in awesome fashion. The dimunitive boss of the group whose name escapes me, he wrote most of the songs, played the bass, and it's his impressively wide ranging vocals we hear so well here. I remember he looked like Charles Hawtrey from the Carry On films but who cares when you can turn out songs as good as this.
All their own work and mighty fine stuff it is..... no seventies heavy rock collection is complete without something from Budgie. At least they get to stay in the catalogue even if all their albums have yet to be turned into CDs.....
One of my other favourites, 'Hustler' seemed to have vanished without a trace and I saw them as the support for no less a band than Queen in 1974!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure rock n roll, 1 Oct 2004
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
When my dad said I should check out Budgie as I had just got into old fashioned (but quality) heavy metal, I was skeptical. I mean after all Budgie is an awful name!
But this cd is genuinely enjoyable, with enough significant songs to be regularly played. Breadfan and Breaking all the House Rules are amazing, but NApolean stands apart, it really is fantastic.
Budgie have a really raw rock sound, (especially as there is only 3 of them), that sets them apart. I think they are worthy of a place in the cd collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't be put off by the cover, 20 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
This is a great CD of early seventies hard rock although the vocals take a bit of getting used to. Unlike other Budgie releases that has a classic Roger Dean cover this one is really awful and needs repacking. Remember don't be put off by the cover, this is a great value cd (offered at £3.33 when I checked) and is highly recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Top class 70's rock, 5 Feb 2012
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
First Budgie album I've owned after watching them on Youtube and it didn't disappoint! Brilliant start with 'Breadfan' which is still covered by Metallica in their live shows. Great variety of tunes and well worth a listen.

4.0 out of 5 stars A pretty good all-rounder., 15 May 2006
Alan Burridge (Poole,, Dorset. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
Spurred into digging out this CD again after seeing the band live at Mr. Kyps in Poole on September 21st, (for the second year running - check their website, they're on tour and may be playing at a venue near you!), the tracks covered here are excellent. I originally got into Budgie in 1968 with their first album, tempted partly by the sleeve and the publicity surrounding the band at the time, and also the intriguing 'Nude Disintegrating Parachutist Woman' song title; which is as strangely quirky today as it was back then. And they didn't stop there, either, as 'In The Grip Of A Tyrefitter's Hand' also on here justifies. Budgie reformed partly due to a DJ in Texas playing their tracks and a cult-following building from the airplay, and thankfully enough fans remember them vividly as an excellent live band which enable's Budgie to keep selling out venues like Mr. Kyps on an annual basis. Here we have 'Breadfan,' covered by Metallica a few years ago, and again added to their impetus to reform. 'I Ain't No Mountain' is their take on a ballad, and a splendid one at that, and 'Napoleon Bona Part I & II' is to Budgie what 'Starway To Heaven' is to Led Zeppelin and 'Ace of Spades' is to Motorhead - their absolute classic in my opinion, even though others might disagree, it's a stormer. If you've never heard Budgie's music this is great as an intro. And although, as the reviewer below notes that "the cover is a bit naff!" yes, it is, but the 'don't judge a book by the cover' adage also works here: it's the music that matters, and it's terrific!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great music, crap name, 25 July 2011
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
Wow! Discovered this band by accident on Youtube and was blown away! How I have never discovered them before? How have lived without them? They were peers of Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath and share a similar sound... imagine Sabbath and Zepplin jamming... and you kinda get Budgie! Okay, lyrically they're not the best, but who listens to heavy metal for philosophical lyrics?

The lead singer has a Robert Plant-esque voice (an angel being tortured to the point of ecstasy)and the music is just stunning. However, they do get a bit self-indulgent with the guitar and drum riffs mid-song and this leaves some songs feeling disjointed. The songs are mostly 5+ minutes, no bad thing per se, but can seem a little flabby at times.

The album is a great (and if you'll excuse the pun) cheap way to discover a band that both Metallica and Soundgarden cite as being a major influence on their respective careers. It loses a star due the fact my personal favourite track 'Homicidal Suicidal' is absent.

Hammer and Tongs is probably the best tune to look for on Youtube and discover the glory of Budgie, just don't get involved in the whole did/didn't Budgie influence or copy Sabbath and Zepplin... it doesn't matter! Enjoy the music!

4.0 out of 5 stars Like a toothless Budgie they were born to succeed...., 10 April 2011
Mr Blackwell (scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
...sadly they didnt,forever lost in the lower divisions of the heavy rock world,they never reached the level that they deserved,this compilation will illustrate why, the naff cover and even poorer booklet dont do justice to this great band,the average sound quality dosent help either,it was ever thus for this group.

The actual music is superb,thundering riffs(some poached later by other bands),beautiful acoustic moments and some searing lead guitar playing confirms that Budgie were genuinely unlucky not to have reached a higher level.Forever consigned it would appear to playing as a support band in my youth,saw them support - Gillan/Ozzy and Rush(i think),always a pleasure to see live,this is a decent intro,a proper compilation remastered is surely in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of Budgie...Classic Rawk Bargain, 30 Nov 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
Been listening to this Bargain CD pretty much non-stop since it fell through the letterbox and the only thing I can say is wow...From the mighty Riffage of "Breadfan" and "In the Grip of a Tyrefitter's Hand" to slightly mellower stuff such as "I Can't See My Feelings" and "I Ain't No Mountain" just superb heavy rock from a true powerhouse trio!

BG'S Verdict: Anyone into hard rock should have this CD in their collection and at a price that won't break the bank before xmas.

10/10 (5/5 for Amazon)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant music shame about the cover.., 12 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Best Of Budgie (Audio CD)
Just re-discovered Budgie after I heard a riff being played by a friend. bought this album to re-aquaint myself, and can't stop playing it. Budgie were brilliant in the early seventies and this album captures their most memorable hits from this era. Album cover photo etc. is pants, but don't let that put you off. If you are young, like heavy rock and you don't know Budgie then BUY THIS NOW or you will be missing out on a seminal seventies band pioneering heavy rock along with Led Zep et al. If, like me you heard them the first time around, it is a wonderful nostalgia trip - either way you will not be disappointed.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Best Of Budgie
The Best Of Budgie by Budgie (Audio CD - 1999)