5.0 out of 5 stars bewitching, 14 May 2009
I. M. A. Elsman-loeffen (apeldoorn, the netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jump (Audio CD)
I owned this album 25 years ago, when it had just come out, and played it every day. The songs get more and more beautiful, each time you listen to them, as if you travel through more and more layers of the sometimes quite complex compositions. All these years I have remembered several of the songs well, and they came to haunt me from time to time. My 4-year pld daughter heard me sing 'a fine day for fishing', and 'an opportunity for two' recently, and just wants me to sing them again and again. So of course I am repurchasing this gem, and recommend every music lover do the same!

5.0 out of 5 stars A big, splashy album of Van Dyke Parks fun, 27 Aug 2010
This review is from: Jump (Audio CD)
I've slowly been going through Van Dyke Parks' back catalogue for a few years now, but I was a little hesitant in buying this album. I knew that it was a sort of concept album about some kid's stories with a Broadway musical theme, and I'm really not a fan of musicals!

But for all the camp and splashy glitz, of which there is a lot, there's also some great orchestration and amazing Van Dyke Parks song writing. It's quite a dense album, as is most of Van Dyke Park's stuff, but as you begin to absorb everything that's going on it's loads of fun to listen to.

If you have enjoyed Van Dyke Parks' earlier work I would recommend this - it's different, but it's definitely Van Dyke Parks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you feel glad to be alive..., 20 Feb 2014
R. Mills (London UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Jump (Audio CD)
Having discovering the world of Van Dyke Parks the long way round, via his recent work with Joanna Newsom and articles that cite him as an influence on The High Llamas, this collection of songs inspired by the Brer Rabbit Stories is an entirely uplifting experience. The opening three numbers are a delightful sequence; twangy, bouncy and affectionally sung with VDP's cultivated reedy voice. The middle section is more variable, but there are some great textures and arrangements that you simply don't hear these days, while the closing Hominy Grove confirms Van Dyke Parks' love of old American tunes and sensibilities. Sure, some will see this as a unfulfilled project best suited to the stage, but there is a genuine sense of passion and unswerving dedication to an oft overlooked period of music that deserves a wider audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 16 May 2011
This review is from: Jump (Audio CD)
This is a querky album with great tracks, very reminiscent of older styles of music. If your tastes are varied and you are looking for something out of the ordinary then I recommend JUMP

Jump
Jump by Van Dyke Parks (Audio CD - 1996)