4.0 out of 5 stars Straight Pop/Rock with a hint of Oirish
Published on 18 Jan 2005 by not_a_real_folkie

2.0 out of 5 stars Forgiven, but forgettable
I inherited this CD from my late father's collection, not knowing much about the Corrs other than they were in the papers quite a lot in the mid 90s, primarily due to the fact that they (and Andrea in particular) were rather good looking.
Well, was there any substance behind the good looks? The good news is that there is obviously some musical talent there. The bad...
Published 8 months ago by Terrahurtz

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Straight Pop/Rock with a hint of Oirish, 18 Jan 2005
not_a_real_folkie "not_a_real_folkie" (Farnham, Surrey, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
Unusually for me, I was in on The Corrs from the very beginning. Oh yes. What a claim to fame, eh? Hearing their single "Love to Love You" played on the local wireless station in 1995 sent me sprinting down to the local gramophone record emporium as fast as my penny-farthing would carry me. Clutching the fragile 78 to my bosom, I pedalled home furiously and, as the needle touched the shellac, was rewarded with one of the most consistent pop/rock albums ever to grace my horn.
There are some excellent songs here - the title track, the aforementioned "Love to Love You", "Closer", "T*ss The Feathers" are all punchy, solid and do what they say on the tin. Sometimes the jaunty oirish fiddle does grate a little when it sashays in on a perfectly innocent pop song that was managing quite well without it. A couple of other songs sound great at first listen, but are subsequently revealed to be half-formed or (like "Secret Life") push the saccharine pop button just a little too hard.
However, minor complaints. This is better than the multi-mega-billion-selling "Talk on Corners".

5.0 out of 5 stars What a fantastic debut album, 12 Aug 2003
Darren Simons (Middlesex, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
Like many people (well, blokes anyway) the first time I noticed the Corrs was seeing a video of them on VH-1 and suddenly waking up and paying attention. The video was Runaway, and the album was bought immediately.
A number of things immediately struck me about this album. Firstly, Andrea Corr's voice is quite fantastic - melodic and smooth, ideally suited to the music (her tin whistle playing's a bit good as well!). Secondly, the relatively unusual combination of violin, drums, guitar, tin whistle and vocals works brilliantly, and thirdly, having not listened to very much of this genre previously, I really enjoyed the traditional instrumentals especially Toss The Feathers.
There is a strong Irish theme throughout this album and for me it really makes this album stand out as something a bit special. Favourite tracks for me are probably Toss The Feathers, Someday, Runaway and Secret Life.
Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Every track on this album is great!, 23 April 2000
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
This was the second album by The Corrs that I heard, after Talk On Corners, and I think that is easily as good as their second album.
I don't know what other people think, but I love all of the instrumental pieces in between the brilliant songs. They are something that I think you can listen to without really having to listen properly, probably because they have no lyrics. My favourite instrumental track has gotta be The Minstrel Boy, closely followed by the Carraroe Jig.
Out of all the vocal tracks, it's difficult to decide on a firm favourite, but it would probably be either Closer, The Right Time or Runaway. But that doesn't mean that the others are not good; in fact, there is not one bad song on the album. Andrea's voice is just brilliant, as are the others', and Sharon's violin playing is great in the tracks in which she plays. The group as a whole sound really good together; The Corrs are definitely one of my favourite bands.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 11 Mar 2001
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic album. I only got it yesterday, but I was very impresssed. I don't thing there is a bad song on it. The mixture of songs is impressive.
There are some slow love songs such as runaway, and love to love you, some traditional or traditionally styled instrumentals. There are also enough uptempo songs in there such as Someday. Their is an influence of traditional Irish Music in some of their songs, which adds a lot to the music.
I don't know if this is better than Talk on Corners, but I think this is a bit better, although I haven't listen to this much. This seems to be more immediately appealling.
Basically fans of The Corrs shouldn't hesistate the get this, and others might be convinced.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the rock side of the corrs, 13 Dec 2006
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
I got this album years and years ago and still play it to this day because it is such a great album. It is the rockier side of the Corrs that you don't see on any of their other albums.

It is a great rock/pop/celtic album with many great songs on it, in fact all the songs on this album are fantastic and well worth a listen. I am sure if you like any of the other Corr's albums then you are bound to like their first album.

It is a true master piece and an album every fan should own and if you are not a fan of the Corrs then you might change your mind when you hear this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting mix of Irish music and modern rock - Excellent., 12 Jan 2000
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
After listening to this album by chance just before The Corrs got really big, it made me realise just how good the Irish music industry is and to what kind of talent we have here in Ireland both North and South. I am really lucky in the way that I have actually met the group and know their home town really well. This album is tops of their albums followed by MTV Unplugged and then Talk on Corners. I have been at all but 2 of their Irish gigs and the actual top of the list is to see them live, their music is exceptional. To Jim, Andrea, Sharon and Caroline, Thank you for the music. KEEP IT UP. WE LOOK FORWARD TO YOUR NEW ALBUM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Starting as they meant to go on..., 9 Oct 2000
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
Well, the debate rages on. Is their best album this or Talk On Corners?... it's tight. I personally can't seperate them. This is simply a stunning album. It flows brilliantly from one track to the next, and it's a slightly more "raw" sound than TOC, with far less of the production. (Not that TOC had much, of course.) Toss The Feathers is now the standard by which all Corrs instrumentals are measured. The mixture of slower songs and the more up-tempo style tracks is perfect. If you liked TOC, buy this. You'll love it.

5.0 out of 5 stars In the beginning...there was one brilliant album!, 13 Jan 2000
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
This album is essentially the Corrs "before they were famous", as tracks such as "Runaway" and "Love to Love You" predate their making it big in the UK. Their early material is just as strong as their more recent work, with more traditional instrumentals. There is something for everybody here, but my personal favourite is "Closer", the lyrics perfectly combining hopefulness with uncertainty. Buy it - you won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars What an album!!!, 10 Dec 2000
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
Being one of The Corrs biggest fans people will be shocked to know that i have only just purchased Forgiven Not Forgotten. I only wish i had bought it sooner, it is a brilliant album!! Much better than there other ones. It is what i call a raw album, it uses all the traditional irish instruments. Even if you are not a Corrs fan you will love this album, it is in my top 5 albums. GO AND BUY IT NOW!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars An astonishing debut album, 28 April 2002
Satchmo "Satchmo" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Forgiven, Not Forgotten (Audio CD)
I would not call myself a Corrs fan, and indeed the recent fair delivered by the band would almost justify the accusation leveled that the Corrs were responsible for putting the 'L' back into band. However,'Forgiven Not Forgotten' is simply among one of the finest debut albums ever recorded.
The sheer power of the title track is breathtaking, an urging, melancholy, vocal over a precision executed power-wash of electric guitar and fiddle. I remember being utterly blown away by this song on first hearing.
I was (and still am) struck by the intelligence of the songwriting. There is a real understanding of the use of 'tension' in the music.A good example of this being the change from a minor to major 3rd chord construct at the end of 'Runaway', a real chill-down-the-back moment.
Songwriting of this maturity and quality, I have not heard in years, something not repeated in the bands later albums, possibly due to the pressures of recording and the need to co-write with certain American songwriters.
For this debut, all songs were penned by the Corrs and there is a genuine honesty in the delivery and their Irish roots (something lost, perhaps 'cashed in-on' in their later work).
The songs presented as they are on the album have, refreshingly, no time for short term musical trends, it was only in the single releases taken from this work that some tracks were dumbed down to appeal to an uneducated market, i.e. by using drumloops etc.
Mercifully this album was completed before such butchery was perfomed.
The intermingling of traditional Irish music gives the album a strong binding and presents it as a complete work, not just a collection of disparate songs. Once you start listening, it really is difficult not to commit to hearing the whole album in one sitting.
If you only ever buy one Corrs album, this is the one to choose.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Forgiven, Not Forgotten
Forgiven, Not Forgotten by The Corrs (Audio CD - 1996)