5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best albums
Published 1 month ago by Arne Sande

2.0 out of 5 stars rather poor sound
The piano tone was very harsh in the loud passages, and the left hand was sometimes played before the right. The date of recording was considerably older than I had expected and the overall sound quality rather constricted. The cd went straight to the charity shop.
Published 23 months ago by Roger Gibbs

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best albums, 18 Oct 2014
Arne Sande (7032 Trondheim Norway) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Brahms: Piano Pieces (Audio CD)
Katchen has always been my favourite recording of these works, and generally I dislike versions where the soloist "meddles" too much with idiosyncratic interpretative quirks in this subtly autumnal heartbreaking music. Grimaud immediately made me sit up and take notice. Listening now for the third time to this CD, I enjoy the purpose and conviction, even joy and pride in the playing. The concert hall acoustic fits the extrovert attitude. At the same time she does not miss the poetry of the quiet pieces. The more intimate Katchen version on DECCA gives you a different story, and of course you must have at least two versions of this wonderful music. (The cover makes me think of a different kind of Twilight, as enjoyed by adolescent readers, although in 1995 I guess it was all about Ann Rice..) Unreserved recommendation.

2.0 out of 5 stars rather poor sound, 12 Dec 2012
This review is from: Brahms: Piano Pieces (Audio CD)

Brahms: Piano Pieces
Brahms: Piano Pieces by Johannes Brahms (Audio CD - 1996)