Format: Vinyl|Change

on 3 November 2011
I was moving house recently and rather than cart all my old un-listened CDs to the new place, I decided to sell them all. While going through the collection I stumbled across this album. The cover alone took me back 10 years ago to a simpler time in my life, so I chucked it in the laptop and stuck it on the ipod. That was two weeks ago and it's pretty much been on constant "rotation" since. Testament to the brilliance of this album. For me, it's his best piece of work, and "what does your soul look like (part 2)" is reason enough alone to buy it. I'm not selling my copy though.
on 23 January 2001
A short time ago, one of my housemates and myself were discussing Moby as an artist that produced music that let you totally relax. A week or so later, he was recommended 'Entroducing' as running on the same lines as Moby. Entroducing was wonderful, full of music that was original with every playing. Last week, I heard the contents of 'Pre-emptive Strike', which has unfortunately been deleted by Mo Wax. For anyone lucky enough to get a copy, I would highly recommend it as a disc that even makes Entroducing seem superfluous.
on 26 October 2008
OK, yes, a few of these songs have been readily available on other releases. But that aside, I would go as far as to say that Preemptive Strike contains some of Shadow's greatest moments.

As epic as Entroducing is, this collection pushes the envelope even further. What Does Your Soul Look Like part 2 is nothing short of vast in scale with its dramatic strings, crashing drums and mournful vocals. In contrast, part 3 is delicate and minimal, a meandering flute and tinkling piano taking centre stage. Every defining characteristic of Entroducing (delicate ambience, long patient pauses, impeccable drum breaks, slow, smoothly paced song dynamics) is taken that bit further in these songs. Despite being a collection of separately composed tracks, the album flows surprisingly well, with Organ Donor and High Noon as the perfect closers.

Put simply, Preemptive Strike is an absolute must for any fan of Entroducing.
on 4 September 2000
With some fantastic re-mixes from the "endroducing album" and new material as well, all this album may look to ofer nothing different it shows a greater level of thought and layering than "endtroducing". With five tracks making up a singular mini-opus it demonstrates the maturity and sheer genius of Dj Shadow
on 23 January 2002
For those of you who don't already have Endtroducing, stop now, click off this page and buy that now.
For those of you who are still here I can tell you now this album is more shadow, which is a VERY good thing - however, I personally feel just a touch "fobbed off" by this release - you ownly really get 5 new tracks (Two parts of "What does your soul look like" are simply mirrored from Endtroducing) and the remix of Organ Donor is nothing too new and groundbreaking. However, there are three tracks on this album that are up there with his best - High Noon, an upbeat guitar driven track and What does your Soul look like parts 2 & 3 are nothing short of amazing...
Worth it for these three tracks alone but shurley this is an EP relase rather than a full album?
on 13 January 2014
Really well priced on amazon for what you get. I highly recommend it, fantastic graphics. It's a fantastic vinyl and a real must for a fan. Exceptional music!
on 13 September 2001
Though more of a subtle and moody album, and as such less commercial that Dj SHadow's first album proper, this compendium of vinyl releases is utterly indespensible to a fan. The songs meander and rely more on phrases evolving than on making the trip-hop tunes of 'Entroducing', but it's more emotional and, you suspect, more honest than that ever was. If you thought 'What Does Your Soul Look Like (Part 4)' on 'Endroducing' was good, wait until you hear all of it. The only downer if the lack of the 'High Noon' b-side 'Devil's Advocate' and the other lost Dj Shadow gem 'Third Decade, Our Move', but these would probably throw the mood out anyway. All in all an excellent album from one of the greatest musical minds of the past ten years.
on 17 February 2014
Bought this for my partner who has many CD's by this artist. He was thrilled with the present. Service from Amazon was fab also.
on 10 December 2015
Superb album been a DJ shadow fan for years thanks
on 16 March 2016
Great album and efficient delivery