1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning sublime simplicity!, 27 Oct 2006
This review is from: Close Enough for Love (Audio CD)
Shirley Horn is such a classy artist (I refuse to talk in the past, I know she's deceased in 2005, but artists like her never really die)!

In a way it is the most relaxed, and, on the other hand, the most intense romantic/sensuous vocal jazz there is to hear. Her piano playing accompanies her distinctive singing style in a way that became legendary.

The first song I heard from her, which instantly made me a lifelong fan, was: ONCE I LOVED, one of many Jobim standards. She seems to embody the song.

In my opinion, Shirley Horn made an amazing lot of definite versions of great jazz standards, especially ballads. At least three of them I find on this album, (which is why I will always cherish this album just a bit more than her many other magnifiscent albums), the standouts :

2. I Got Lost In His Arms

8. Once I Loved

9. But Beautiful

In her ballads, Shirley Horn stops the time and the world - especially in "BUT BEAUTIFUL".

"Get Out Of Town" is a very nice example of her swinging talent, and another excellent choice of song material.

Shirley Horn sings right into the heart. She makes each song her own :the signature of the greatest.

I needed to own this album in my CD collection, like billionaires need a real Picasso at their wall. Yet I feel richer, whenever I listen to "my" Shirley Horn!

Close Enough for Love
Close Enough for Love by Shirley Horn (Audio CD - 2000)