5.0 out of 5 stars For me , a Standout Stan Getzalbum ( pun intended).
Published 2 months ago by Mr Ian Briggs

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling Getz and Evan's....
Published on 14 Aug. 2012 by os

3.0 out of 5 stars Middling Getz and Evan's...., 14 Aug. 2012
os - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Getz & Evans (Audio CD)
This is one of those records that should work but doesn't quite. The playing from the principles is fine and the choice of material tending towards the lively rather then ballads is fair enough. I can only suggest that it is the rhythm section that might be the problem.Stan and Bill essentially are players who need space to work. Too frequently,at least for my taste throughout this album,drummer Elvin Jones tends to push to much. On tracks like 'Night and Day' to the point of bouncing the two soloists around,so much so that they can't settle. When the mood relaxes a little on 'But Beautiful' and 'Melinda'then we get the lovely jazz we know this combo should be capable of producing. There is no doubt that some great playing takes place -'My Heart Stood Still' for instance, but there isn't really a meeting of minds as such.

'Getz and Evans' is not a particularly essential part of either Evan's or Getz's catalogue,although it is an enjoyable in it's own way without being particularly memorable.The quality of recording is fair without being great. It is not my usual way to be so half- hearted about a recording but I speak as one who reveres the recorded legacy of both men greatly and know that this session from 1964 was a rare misfire for both parties.

5.0 out of 5 stars For me , a Standout Stan Getzalbum ( pun intended)., 13 April 2015
This review is from: Getz & Evans (Audio CD)
I bought this CD second hand at my local CD/ vinyl shop.I am a huge zoot sims fan but I like Stans tone and respect his immense ability! I understand he could be a difficult person sometimes to like or perhaps to understand, well I have been recently getting some selected CD' s by him ( not the bossa stuff!) So I took a chance on this one without first checking my jazz books etc. Well I think its great!! as some other reviewers also do, first class playing all round and Elvin Jones , drums some people may find too much but I think he makes this album! Stan seems inspired and on some of his solos he sounds as free as a bird! Some albums really gel with me and this is one!! Great, go on take a chance.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bill Evans -Stan Getz - Elvin Jones - Ron carter/R. Davis, 27 Jan. 2002
Brian Hennessey "Ben" (Taunton, u.k. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Getz & Evans (Audio CD)
Neither Bill or Stan were happy with these recordings but finally approved their release. Elvin certainly deserves a mention on the cover as he makes a substantial contribution.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 4 Dec. 2014
good

Getz & Evans
Getz & Evans by Bill Evans (Audio CD - 2005)