Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 November 2008
This is one Chick Corea's mid 70's cross-over themed albums - much in the spirt of The Mad Hatter and RTF's Musicmagic.
I used to love this back then but I'm not so sure it's stood the test of time.
Based around the world of the Leprechaun and his private dream world of dancing sprites, fairy queens and imps, it's got a really distinctive sound and some kind of narrative going on.
Beautifully played throughout, as you'd expect by anything from Corea, it's all a bit too nice. Also. when it was made, the battery of keyboard instruments played and referenced here (specially on Imp's Welcome), was all the rage - just check out the contemporanious work of Herbie Hancock. Today, this looks/sounds a bit naff.
Gayle Moran's distinctive vocals (heard throughout) are, well, as one of the tracks is called, soft and gentle. Mind you, they suit well, Reverie, a short piece that still sounds good.
Maybe I've just moved on.
on 3 April 2013
From the reviews I've read of this mid-70s jazz fantasy concept album from Chick Corea, many people seem to find either the concept or the keyboard sounds embarrassing on account of their whimsical nature. It is as if people want this album to exist without the very things which define it from other albums. Personally, I love the quaint folkloric concept and the zany sounds - they conjure up magical images in my head and I always return to this album for inspiration.

Musically, it's typical Chick Corea stuff, straight out of the same mind that gave us 'Romantic Warrior' by Return to Forever. There's plenty of jazzy melodic phrases from both synths and acoustic piano underpinned by subtle Latin-flavoured bass lines and rhythms. There are a couple of songs and vocal parts on this album which, again, many have a problem with. I can see their point as the singer's performance is rough around the edges but I like the raw mystical sound she produces.

I would strongly encourage anyone with an interest in jazz or jazz fusion to purchase this album and give it a few listens at least. I think it's a wonderful piece of work - like the vast majority of Chick Corea's music.
on 17 December 2014