4.0 out of 5 stars A classic
For some reason I decided to re-read this over Christmas (I hadn't read it since I was at school) and I'm so glad I did because it was much more fun and far more interesting and perceptive than I remembered.

It draws a picture of a time and place I know little about but seemed utterly convincing and I was really struck by the amount of superstition the...
Published on 5 Jan 2008 by BizLiz

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as Huckleberry Finn
A classic children's book, however Huckleberry Finn is far more invigorating for adult reading. I firmly believe that children's fiction needs to appeal to the adult as well, in as much as otherwise adults would not read to their children, or buy books for children. This is a fun story, but very much one for a child growing up in the western culture, and nowhere near as...
Published 16 months ago by Rosalind Brown

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for kids and adults alike., 16 July 2006
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
I love this book. Whether you're a kid or an adult, this book will delight. It conjures up wonderful images of life in America at this time and you can't help but be enchanted by the adventures Tom gets himself involved in, as well as the childhood rituals (simple things like swapping toys and playing in woods!) he takes part in, that we all did and don't realise we miss until reading a book like this. This is a delightful book about childhood and adventure. Superb.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic story of boyhood, 12 Feb 2007
S. A. Maskrey (Derby, England) - See all my reviews
Whatever age you are, this book is sure to enjoyed by all. Some people will read it as a purely entertaining account of the childhood of an over-imaginative but loveable boy. Even today, Toms exploits reverberate with growing up, and the pure joy of being young and free. Sadly, in a world of growing regulation and overprotectiveness by parents, some of the adventures of Tom Sawyer will not sadly be enjoyed by todays average twelve-year-old, but are still sure to be understood and provide amusement to all young people.

It is difficult to compare this novel with Huckleberry Finn, and at times seems to be written by a different author. That said, it typifies much of Mark Twain, and the area of the US in which he grew up, without relating too much to the serious issues that lie just under the surface of Huck Finn.

Overall, it is a book that deserves to be read, preferably as a child, and by those [slightly older people] that remember growing up and getting up to some of Toms adventures as a child, and want to reminisce.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review, 2 Mar 2006
“The Adventures of Tom Sawyer” is an amazing book. Mark Twain was excellent with his characters. He created them with the intent that we can relate to them. I think that there is a young Tom Sawyer in all of us. There is always that little spark for adventure. We all at one point in our life wanted to experience the things that Tom did. That is why he is a character that everyone loves. I’m pretty sure that everyone has a young Sid in their life, someone that is there to get them into more trouble. The reason this is a good book is because it allows the reader to escape their life and walk in the shoes of adventure. At points there is also suspense to keep the reader itching for more. If you pick this book up you will not be able to put it down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great literature, 11 April 2014
I read this book (and naturally Huck Finn's adventures too) in a German translation, when I was a child. Now i read it once more in English and I think, it is much more than a children-story. It is really a great piece of world-literature

5.0 out of 5 stars the adventure of tom sawyer, 2 April 2014
I love this book. A return to a younger life, more ejoyable a second time time round and from a different prospective.

5.0 out of 5 stars RE-READING FAVOURITES FROM MY CHILDHOOD, 8 Nov 2013
IN CONVINCING HUBBY HE SHOULD READ SOME CHILDHOOD CLASSICS I DECIDED TO DO THE SAME SECOND TIME AROUND. STARTING WITH THIS ONE I CANNOT REMEMBER IT BEING SO DIFFICULT TO READ WHEN I WAS YOUNGER OR MAYBE I HAD A SIMPLIFIED CHILDREN'S VERSION THEN. I AM STICKING WITH IT THOUGH AND FINDING IT VERY ENJOYABLE. I DON'T KNOW IF HUBBY WOULD GET ON WITH THIS ONE AS SO DIFFERENT FROM RLS ADVENTURES.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful view into the mind of growing kids!, 18 Oct 2013
Stewart M (Victoria, Australia) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This is a really wonderful read. The fact that I need to say that is based on my experiences of other classics, which I have often found disappointing! Nothing could be further from the case here.

Although the settings - and some of the behaviors - in this book are dated, it is the understanding of the minds of the young characters that makes the book so readable.

The `psychology' aspect of the book has not really dated at all - the need to impress and be wanted and the "you'll be sorry when I'm gone" thoughts leading up to a runaway are all wonderfully explored.

This is not a long book, but it is a good one.

Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for children from 9 to 90, 4 Oct 2013
A re-read of a childhood favourite. You don't realise how far we have come regarding wealth and race until you read something like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Long lost youth!, 12 Aug 2013
D. P. Hardy (England) - See all my reviews
It's years since I read this book (and I mean YEARS!) but, it still enthralled me. Samuel Langhorne Clemens is a master at understanding young people and their unhindered view on life. Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars a good read, 4 Aug 2013
coco (nottingham) - See all my reviews
I bought this for someone who had read it years ago and hope they enjoy it just as much today.

ARRAY(0xa52d4f60)

Adventures of Tom Sawyer
Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Twain (Audio CD)
Used & New from: 4.75