Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 January 2011
For me, Jorge Bolet is the GREAT Liszt pianist. I've got almost all the 'greats' playing Liszt's piano Sonata: the best? I think Bolet by quite a long way, then Gilels ..... the rest also-rans inc Richter, Argerich, Arrau, Horowitz, Sofronitszky, Demidenko, Vlassenko - even Cortot. Why isn't Bolet more recognised? Is it because he wasn't really a professional pianist? If you don't have this, treat yourself!
on 26 May 2014
I'm a newcomer to Liszt so can't really comment on the relative quality of this recording compared to others. All I can say is that it seemed pretty good to me. I am fond of Chopin and all sorts of piano concertos from Mozart to Rachmaninov, but to my shame beyond a few snippets (eg Liebestraum) on easy listening collections I didn't have anything by FL. I don't suppose I'm unique, so for the benefit of other musical middle-brows he's a bit less approachable than Chopin, but he has certainly grown on me. Give him a try - i'm sure you'll find it worthwhile.
on 20 March 2013
I go quite soppy for Liszt and this recording is very fine indeed - subtle, elegant and sufficiently romantic to hit all the right buttons for closet-Romantics like me.
on 5 July 2014
The CD contains some marvellous music and piano playing. Excellent value at the double-Decca price. Arrived sealed and in pristine condition - not always to be expected!
on 25 September 2014
Lovely playing by one of the best interpreters of Liszt. Some outstanding playing and a very exciting mix of pieces from a tremendouscomposer
on 16 July 2014
Brilliant List music
on 25 May 2016
On time & as described. Great stuff.
on 22 January 2016
Great
on 22 February 2015
I have already rated this item!.
on 26 May 2012
Arrived in good time and the CDs are OK but the jewel box was broken. Particularly irritating for a double CD.
The music is wonderful, beautifully played and excellent sound quality.