Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 December 2007
I'm glad I bought this recording. Not only is it good value for money, with the "Coronation Mass" and the "Exsultate Jubilate" included, as well as the Litany K195, it's a fine performance of one of the most moving works ever written. It also has the added bonus of giving us the (I think) rarely heard edition by Franz Beyer, who "cleaned up" the more regularly performed Sussmayr version. Marriner and the Academy show their mettle to perfection here. If I have one quibble, it lies in the inexplicable arrangement of the items on disc one. Why place them in the order: Exsultate, then the "Coronation", then the Litany? The only reason I can conceive is that they were arranged from shortest to longest work, which doesn't make logical sense. Surely "Exsultate Jubilate" in this case is something of a "filler". However, that really IS a minor quibble; the whole set is superb. If you haven't got it, buy it!
on 29 April 2014
Everyone should own a copy of this recording...it sears through the heart, mind, body and soul like the touch of an angel.
on 16 June 2013
Update: would give 3.5 *'s having listened to it for a week. I do enjoy the first CD (K165,K195+K317) tho' my initial feelings also apply ie this is the 'BIG' sound approach to everything.

Initial caveat: I am principally writing about the Requiem, as I'm unfamiliar with other versions of the other pieces. With this out of the way, for my taste this is a rather too over-blown version. I fully understand that others may enjoy the heavy orchestration and rather ponderous tones and hey, it is a requiem after all. Just to say, I prefer smaller ensembles and a cleaner, sparser sound. If you like the big, slow, grand approach this is great. If not look elsewhere.
on 3 February 2014
This is probably the best recording of Mozart's Requiem. Replaces my worn out vinyl LP. And the stuff on the other CD good listening.
on 16 December 2012
One of the greatest works of music of all time; it will transcend you and entertain you for all your life
on 18 February 2013
I choose music which I enjoy listening to, not necessarily whether I would consider the likes and dislikes of my friends.
on 26 November 2015
Truly first class.
on 5 October 2014
my taste
on 17 February 2016
not as good as i expected it to be
on 10 April 2015