5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting performances
Published on 16 Dec 2007 by R. J. Barton

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather too rich for my taste
Update: would give 3.5 *'s having listened to it for a week. I do enjoy the first CD (K165,K195+K317) tho' my initial feelings also apply ie this is the 'BIG' sound approach to everything.

Published 13 months ago by Timothy Hawthorn

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting performances, 16 Dec 2007
R. J. Barton "robertjb44" (South Africa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem etc... (Audio CD)
I'm glad I bought this recording. Not only is it good value for money, with the "Coronation Mass" and the "Exsultate Jubilate" included, as well as the Litany K195, it's a fine performance of one of the most moving works ever written. It also has the added bonus of giving us the (I think) rarely heard edition by Franz Beyer, who "cleaned up" the more regularly performed Sussmayr version. Marriner and the Academy show their mettle to perfection here. If I have one quibble, it lies in the inexplicable arrangement of the items on disc one. Why place them in the order: Exsultate, then the "Coronation", then the Litany? The only reason I can conceive is that they were arranged from shortest to longest work, which doesn't make logical sense. Surely "Exsultate Jubilate" in this case is something of a "filler". However, that really IS a minor quibble; the whole set is superb. If you haven't got it, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublime, 29 April 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem etc... (Audio CD)
Everyone should own a copy of this recording...it sears through the heart, mind, body and soul like the touch of an angel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Recording good price, 3 Feb 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem etc... (Audio CD)
This is probably the best recording of Mozart's Requiem. Replaces my worn out vinyl LP. And the stuff on the other CD good listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart requiem, 16 Dec 2012
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem etc... (Audio CD)
One of the greatest works of music of all time; it will transcend you and entertain you for all your life

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart;Requiem, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem etc... (Audio CD)
I choose music which I enjoy listening to, not necessarily whether I would consider the likes and dislikes of my friends.

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather too rich for my taste, 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem etc... (Audio CD)

Initial caveat: I am principally writing about the Requiem, as I'm unfamiliar with other versions of the other pieces. With this out of the way, for my taste this is a rather too over-blown version. I fully understand that others may enjoy the heavy orchestration and rather ponderous tones and hey, it is a requiem after all. Just to say, I prefer smaller ensembles and a cleaner, sparser sound. If you like the big, slow, grand approach this is great. If not look elsewhere.

Mozart: Requiem etc...
Mozart: Requiem etc... by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Audio CD - 1994)