5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant introduction to Mozart's keyboard concerti
Published on 22 Dec 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Not convinced
I like Ashkenazy, and I love and revere Mozart, but when the former plays the latter I hear too many instances of Ashkenazy loving the music "not wisely but too well". For me his over-affectionate approach leads (not always, but still too often) to lumpy phrasing - a cardinal sin in this composer above all - and unconvincing overall interpretations. I wish I could play...
Published on 9 April 2011 by Harry Callahan

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant introduction to Mozart's keyboard concerti, 22 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
As a long-time fan of Vladimir Ashkenazy's playing, I could have been given no better Christmas present from my friend than this CD. Mozart is a sublime composer (one of my favourites), and I have rarely encountered someone who doesn't admire and respect his oeuvre. These concertos (20, 21, 23, 24 & 25) stem from his later period and are all beautiful examples of Mozart's skill at keyboard composition. The piano is superbly balanced against the orchestral accompaniment, and in these recordings Ashkenazy performs at his best. Lyrical and articulate (as he always is) he takes the concertos at a natural pace and allows them to breathe. As he is also conducting the Philharmonia Orchestra from the piano the recording has a sense of freshness, vitality, and grace that stems from the soloist's interaction with his orchestra under the dual hat of conductor. A worthy CD in every respect, I warmly recommend it for first-time Mozart listeners and well-learned Mozart scholars alike.
A point of interest regarding the two C major and the C minor concertos recorded here is that the cadenzas are composed by Ashkenazy himself; the other two by Mozart (K488) and Beethoven (K466).
A beautiful CD and a must-have for the collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart Concertos, 10 Jan 2008
A Brahms fan (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Mozart is deceptively hard to play - everything is so exposed and must sound clean and polished. I have a lot of respect for Ashkenazy as a pianist, because in these Mozart concertos he has achieved just that. Perfect legato, even playing. I find these recordings so satisfying to listen to, as he is in utter control of everything. The playing of the Philharmonia is beautifully refined (Ashkenazy conducting from the keyboard) - every melodic line is brought out, and the emphasis on phrases is exactly where it should be. I would say that the orchestral playing in the Ashkenazy cycle is superior to that of the revered Murray Perahia cycle - Mozart - The Piano Concertos.

The D minor concerto has to be one my favourites of Mozart's 27, and it is given an amazing performance here (as are the rest). I found it more satisfying than Perahia's - Mozart: Piano Concertos Nos. 20 & 27. The work itself is so good, Beethoven wrote a magnificent set of cadenzas for it! I particularly enjoy listening to how Ashkenazy executes these cadenzas with so much expression and real virtuosity.

Ashkenazy's performance of these works sound perfect to my ears. Go on treat yourself! Once I heard this selection of concertos, I jumped at the chance to purchase the Ashkenazy box - Mozart: The Piano Concertos from Amazon for a crazy £16! I highly recommend that purchase too. I notice Amazon's prices fluctuate from time to time...

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection of piano concertos - amazing value, 9 April 2011
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Some lovely recordings and for the price I paid this has to be the bargain of the year. The strings are powerful and Ashkenazy's piano is sufficiently forward in the mix to be clear without feeling too separate from the orchestra. My personal favourite is concerto 20 in D minor which is full of energy and vigour in the interplay between Ashkenazy and the orchestra whilst maintaining a brooding feeling of weight and pathos. Super recordings!

5.0 out of 5 stars sparkling, 1 Jan 2010
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Unlike previous reviewers I am a mere amateur who just knows what I like and don't like. What's not to like about this wonderful elegant sound? It's like pure sweet water bubbling down from the hills in a pastoral landscape.

Bringing together two geniuses: Mozart and Ashkenazy with the backing of the Philharmonia, what could go wrong: answer - nothing, pure delight on a cold winter's afternoon or any time for that matter.Mozart: Great Piano Concertos

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 2 July 2014
SUPERB

5.0 out of 5 stars Ashkenazy plays Mozart., 2 Mar 2014
GERRY MCMENEMY (Argyll,Scotland.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Ashkenazy is one of the greatst concert pianists of the 20th century. Mozart is one of the greatest composers of all time and his later piano concertos are among his finest works. Put both pianist and composer together and you get truly magnificent music.
I first bought this recording in vinyl when I was a university student in the 1960's. I haven't heard it for many years and it is as fresh and beautiful as it was then.
Mr.G.McMenemy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart and Ashkenazy, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
I Love Ashkenazy, he can do no wrong, especially when playing Mozart. He seems to bring alive this wonderful, timeless music.

5.0 out of 5 stars What for a performance, 12 Aug 2013
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
Performance and registration are excellent!! Undoubtedly Vladimir Ashkenazy is one of the giants piano maestros and a great interpreter of Mozart

5.0 out of 5 stars A present for a grandson!, 17 July 2013
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
C.D. chosen for my grandson who lives in in New Zealand. The family have a new electronic piano and, if wanted, it plays a selecton of classical music. One piece made my grandson feel happy and he would dance around the lounge. I could not place the particular concerto apart from knowing that it was composed by Mozart. On return to England I played my C.D. and I was correct and noted the number and the movement that he enjoyed. Hence the puzzle was complete and I sent this C.D. off to N.Z. A happy grandson!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great selection of Mozart's best piano concertos., 19 Jun 2013
John R. Bates (Ormiston, Queensland, Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Great Piano Concertos (Audio CD)
What can I say. Absolutely sublime recording in the hands of a master pianist. This recording highlights Mozart's amazing versatility in writing music that speaks to your very soul.

Mozart: Great Piano Concertos
Mozart: Great Piano Concertos by Vladimir Ashkenazy (Audio CD - 1997)