5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best
Published on 19 Jan 2007 by jes1564

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed
I find this series of concertos somewhat mixed in quality . The later two ( four and five ) are , to my ears at least , somewhat better performances than the earlier ones .
Published 22 months ago by theplanets

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the Best, 19 Jan 2007
This review is from: Beethoven: The Piano Concertos (Decca Collectors Edition) (Audio CD)
Vladimir Ashkenazy must rank as one of the greatest pianists of the modern era. His blend of flawless technique and sensitive interpretation marks him out as being uniquely placed to deliver as near to definitive performances as it is possible to get. This set of piano concerti was my introduction to his work, and I remain as impressed now as I was when I first heard them. He is ably supported by a rich and warm sound from the Chicago Symphony Orchestra conducted by the incomparable Sir Georg Solti. Ashkenazy was apparently apprehensive about approaching Beethoven and attempting to play him in the West when he emerged from the Soviet Union as a young man in the sixties; he need not have been. His command of the tonal energy and colours of the piano works is unrivalled. I like all these concerti, have heard them often played by various pianists and orchestras, and this set is my favourite. Don't misunderstand me: I have a great admiration for many musicians and they can play individual works by Beethoven and others which I find magnificent. But as far as this group of concerti is concerned, Ashkenazy is very hard to surpass. The version by Murray Perahia and the Royal Concertgebouw under Bernard Haitink is the only one which comes anywhere near. Get them both, if you can; if you have to choose, this is the one I would not be without.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Ashkenazy., 5 May 2012
I must admit to not having been a great Beethoven fan, but recordings like this have certainly won me over to the great man. Plus, I have always liked Vladimir Ashkenazy's piano playing, including his Rachmaninov and Chopin. So when I saw he had recorded all of Beethoven's piano Concertos with Sir Georg Solti and the Chicago Symphony Orchesta, I couldn't resist buying this, especially at Amazon's bargain price. Ashkenazy is such a flamboyant pianist and these Beethoven concertos, [particularly the Emperor], are really suited to his style. I have heard Alfred Brendel's version with James Levine and the CSO, recorded in the 1980s, also for Decca, of these concertos, and to me his manner of playing is not flamboyant enough. As I have said, this is not a problem for Ashkenazy, and the Chicago Symphony Orchestra give him expert backing in clear Decca sound. A great buy indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost too perfect, 4 Dec 2003
By A Customer
There are two sets of the piano concertos worth having, this one and the Klemperer/Barenboim set. This set is all but faultless, BUT, although Solti is never less than accurate he seems somewhere in this mix to have lost some of his passionate engagement with a composer he valued almost above all others. It is strange, but compared to the Barenboim set this feels ever so slightly thin. Nevertheless, it represents a superb rendering of the concerti. My Barenboim set remains on vinyl, and I can never forget its original impact. Perhaps therefore I am expecting too much. But whatever the case I can only advise that a full set of these concerti is essential for any sentient being.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beethoven Masterclass, 22 Nov 2009
Martin E. Richards "MER" (Hastings England) - See all my reviews
This recording was everything I expected it to be and a little bit more. I am very familiar with all five of Beethoven's Piano Concertos but have not heard them for some years and this cd was a golden opportunity to refresh my memory - it did not disappoint. Amazing clarity of sound and virtuosity from the artist - had Beethoven been able to hear he would have given these renditions the five stars I have.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beethoven Piano Concertos, 21 Feb 2013
Have already got all 5 concertos on tape, but wanted them on CD - got them as a Christmas present! Have loved Beethoven's music all my life and can thoroughly recommend these. Superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful rendition and recording... imho.. Great value, 18 Feb 2001
By A Customer
Vladimir has excellent touch and I found a lot of the recording quite emotive. One of my favourites is the third movement of Piano Concerto No.1 and this recording did not fail to stir me.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for any Ludwig Fan, 30 May 2014
I was so pleased to find this beautiful recording of all the concertos. And as my mother is a keen listener to classical music ordered a set for her for her birthday. That way I get to keep my set.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed, 27 Oct 2012
I am unsure why , but Ashkenazy's forte , as one would expect , are with the Russian works . His Rachmaninov and Tchaikovsky are uniformly excellent , but he doesn't quite seem as adept at Beethoven , lacking some "feel".
While not bad , and Solti / CSO are excellent support , there is just something lacking .
For a truly outstanding cycle , get the Kovacevich / Colin Davis efforts , now available in a multitude of combinations .
They are truly exceptional .

4.0 out of 5 stars Wunderbar!, 7 Feb 2012
Enjoyed this CD very much. Excellent reproduction and almost as good as the vinyl copies which I have played for years. Makes travelling a lot more bearable with some rousing piano music for company.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Ashkenazy, 22 Nov 2011
I agree with all the other reviewers. If you want a collection of these 5 works by the master, then you don't need to look any further.

Beethoven: The Piano Concertos (Decca Collectors Edition)
Beethoven: The Piano Concertos (Decca Collectors Edition) by Vladimir Ashkenazy (Audio CD - 1995)