5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart complete piano sonatas: Schiff, Uchida or Eschenbach?, 21 May 2011
A. Zona - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: The Piano Sonatas (Audio CD)
These are just few comparative comments on three sets of Mozart complete piano sonatas: Schiff (Decca), Uchida (Philips), Eschenbach (Deutsch Grammophon).

I got the Schiff collection (recorded 1980) about ten years ago and I have enjoyed it for a long time. These interpretations can be described as elegant, serene, delicate, yet they might appear at time somewhat bland and not entertaining as the other two sets are. The recorded sound is very good (analogue recordings beautifully remastered on CD) but it is annoying that the sonatas are presented in a random order, and not based on the catalogue number as in the other two sets.

I got the Uchida collection (recorded between 1983 and 1987) in 2004 after reading the recommendation from the Gramophone magazine. These interpretations can be described as joyous, very entertaining with generally fast tempi, precise in every detail and every single note clearly audible. Also in this case the recorded sound is quite good, even if a slightly less warm than the Decca set (digital recordings). Yet I had the feeling that in all this apparent perfection something was missing and often I was going back to Schiff.

Not totally satisfied by the interpretations from Schiff and Uchida, I finally got the Eschenbach collection (recorded between 1967 and 1970) after reading many positive reviews on the US Amazon website. At first I was disoriented by the different approach and tempi. But then I realized that this set is definitely the one I prefer. In my opinion more passionate, more musical, more natural, more variegated tempi with more fluency in the fast passages and more feeling in the slow moments, an higher dynamic range giving a beautiful insight into these compositions. The recorded sound is also quite good and beautifully remastered on CD.

Depending on your personal tastes you might like one set over the other two. I don't think there is a wrong choice as in any of these three sets you will for sure enjoy the beautiful Mozart piano sonatas. So I believe that these three sets deserve the maximum rating. Anyway, I have my favourite: Eschenbach.

5.0 out of 5 stars Schiff is the Mozart maestro, 17 Jun 2005
This review is from: Mozart: The Piano Sonatas (Audio CD)
These under-rated piano sonatas and teaching-pieces need the touch of an expert to really shine. Schiff provides that in these recordings, his deft fingerwork pays off in every ornament and semiquaver. Mozart is more than elegance and grace, and Schiff makes the power of these works evident, especially in such black comedies as the great C minor fantasia.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful execution but poor recording, 11 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mozart: The Piano Sonatas (Audio CD)
Wonderful execution by Andras Schiff, but the quality of the recording is very poor depsite the Decca label. It's a pity.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well it's Mozart..., 12 Feb 2014
A. Foster - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: The Piano Sonatas (Audio CD)
... so it was always going to wonderful. I'm not sure why other reviewers have said that the interpretation and recordings are below standard because, as far as I'm concerned, they are pretty close to perfect..

Mozart: The Piano Sonatas
Mozart: The Piano Sonatas by András Schiff (Audio CD - 1995)