Format: Audio CD|Change

Of course Alfred Brendel is a great pianist and these are a range of fine performances from 1971 to 1991 in The Maltings, Snape Whatever the instrument that these works were originally played on, the current performances on piano are pleasing. I particularly enjoy the works on the second CD. The Sonata in A, with its first movement Theme and Variations and its finale Alla Turca, is delightfully engaging. The Adagio in B minor KV540 carries gentle solemn reflection. The Nine Variations in D on a Minuet by Jean- Pierre Duport have immense variety and are technically interesting. But possibly best of all is the Rondo in A minor KV 511. Having listened to Alfred Brendel, I would so enjoy getting the sheet music and playing it. It is beautiful. Altogether well worth having, I can hear why it is listed as Favourite Works for Piano.
VINE VOICEon 13 June 2011
I have always enjoyed Brendels' performances, including Schubert and Schumann and love this disc. I bought this collection mainly after hearing the Duport Variations on the radio and not being very familiar with them.

Havng this together with some of Mozart's finest sonatas makes a wondeful disc for me, especially when played by this master pianist. Highly recommended.
on 23 May 2013
This particular cd does not in my opinion ave his best stuff on it but its still good and worth the money
on 4 June 2015