4.0 out of 5 stars a reliable and enjoyable selection, 5 Sep 2011
hillbank68 "almac1975" (Fife, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Best of Bizet (Audio CD)
This is a fine compilation. It restores Roberto Benzi's excellent Symphony, 'Jeux d'Enfants' and 'Jolie Fille', all very well played by the LSO and beautifully recorded, to the catalogue - a major plus. Dorati's 'Carmen' and 'L'Arlesienne', over 50 years old now, sound their age a little, but they are very characterful, and the 'Farandole' from 'L'Arlesienne', faster than I have ever heard it, is very exciting. I don't much like the 'Agnus Dei' but it is well sung, as are the 'Carmen' operatic extracts and the Pearl Fishers duet. 'Chanson d'Avril' is lovely and the very unfamiliar 'Variations Chromatiques' interesting - nice to have something new in a selection like this. Some of these works exist in better versions, but nothing here will let you down and a lot of it is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you don't like Opera try listening to the Pearl Fishers., 23 April 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best of Bizet (Audio CD)
I profess to being a ardent jazz & blues fan, however when I heard the harmonies of the Pearl Fishers it changed my opinion of Opera. The CD belongs to my parents, who actually cry when they here it. The works of B.B.King and Miles Davis still gets my head moving, but a whole new world of music has now been opened to me. Listen and enjoy.

The Best of Bizet
The Best of Bizet by Various Artists (Audio CD - 1994)