5.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced performance
I've listened to various recordings of Mozart's Requiem and this is my favourite. It's a comparatively modest performance with great timing - some of the other recordings on sale sound exaggerated to me. Really shines.
Published on 7 Jan 2009 by Adam Craig

3.0 out of 5 stars A somber Requiem, but it never deeply touches us
Published on 3 Nov 2011 by Andrew R. Barnard

3.0 out of 5 stars A somber Requiem, but it never deeply touches us, 3 Nov 2011
Andrew R. Barnard (Leola, Pa United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem, K.626 (Audio CD)
This is a Requiem that, in true Marriner fashion, avoids any trace of sentimentality, one that strives to maintain strict adherence to the score. Fans of Marriner will appreciate the sensitivity of his conducting, the excellence of the ASMF orchestra and chorus, and the superb soloists featured. Marriner has a calm, assured way with Mozart, which is apparent here. The music is allowed to be seen for what it is, with no fluff or show to get in the way.

However, anyone can make Mozart easy to listen to. And while I think Marriner knows how to do more than this, I find myself wanting a lot in this recording. Friends, this is a Requiem, written by a young genius who was facing the awful tragedy of death. Am I alone in wanting a performance of this piece that will leave me fighting the tears as I face the reality of the mortality of the human race? I tend to think not. But these qualities are the very ones that are lacking here. Marriner realizes to an extent that this is a Requiem, as there is always somberness in the air. But there's more than seriousness to a Requiem; there needs to be a combining of sorrow and hope. I want my Mozart Requiem to be given a performance that will make me want to turn to the piece when I've suffered the loss of a loved one. But listening to Marriner, I never once found myself deeply moved. Part of the problem may be due to the fact that while the Academy of Saint Martin in the Fields is a first rate chamber orchestra, they lack the richness and sonority of the likes of Berlin and Vienna, which prevents the strings from diving into a dark world of remorse. I hear technically perfect playing, but I'm not overly impressed by the actual musicality of the orchestra. Don't get me wrong: I love the orchestra, it's just that they don't seem up to par here, for some reason or another. Perhaps Phillips deserves a share of the blame, as the recording engineers certainly could have done a better job. The soloists, all first rate, add some light to the scene, but I don't think they make up for Marriner's faults.

I hope I won't be misunderstood. Marriner is a wonderful conductor, deserving the fame he's received in Mozart. But in the Requiem, he seems to be afraid of showing real emotion, as if though it would be undesirable if the music moved us to tears. Some will like this performance, not minding the missing passion, but you should pass this by if you want an experience that will deeply move you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well balanced performance, 7 Jan 2009
Adam Craig - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Super, 23 April 2014
Dr. David Flynn (Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem, K.626 (Audio CD)
A great work, beautifully recorded with lovely vocalists and a great chorus - a must for anyone's collection - just buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 5 Jun 2013
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem, K.626 (Audio CD)
Tried a few different recordings of Requiem. Some seem too fast, others seem too slow, this seems about right, a good recording.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart Requiem, 6 April 2009
Mr. A. L. Marney "Alan" (Kent.England) - See all my reviews
With the Academy and Chorus of St.Martins in the Fields
and Sir Neville Marriner conducting,there is no way
that this could be a mediocre recording.

Wonderful music and very good value for money.

1.0 out of 5 stars about the most boring Mozart Requiem recorded performance I know, 2 Dec 2008
rc_rc (Yorkshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mozart: Requiem, K.626 (Audio CD)
this is un-perky, staid, badly recorded and insipid.

Surprising as Marriner is usually very very good, but against my other dozen recordings of this work I had to give this one away as I knew I would never ever listen to it again. It's even bad against the old Naxos Slovak Phil recording, and that's saying something.

Mozart: Requiem, K.626
Mozart: Requiem, K.626 by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Audio CD - 1991)