5.0 out of 5 stars A classic, 7 Sep 2005
70s "arrow" (uk) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Ars Longa Vita Brevis (Audio CD)
I think that the other reviewer needs to be sat down in a darkened room for a while.
This was the first album that I bought of the Nice many years ago. The power and atmosphere of Karelia Suite with the creak of Emersons Organ stool heard as he produces weird sounds from his Hammond and the gigantic distorted scream as the band roar back after this is still amazing. The Brandenberg on side 2 is stirring and powerful. The quality of side one is a little dippy here and there, but dont be put off, it is NOT as bad as the other reviewer states, maybe he needs a new needle on his tin box.
This album has the atmosphere of true early prog and is a must for keyboard fans everywhere.

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and Quirky, 6 Aug 2013
Sean P. Browne "SEBRO" (London England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ars Longa Vita Brevis (Audio CD)
Ars Longa Vita Brevis by the Nice is a really landmark album. I recently re-visited it after many many years and I really enjoyed all aspects of it from the quite frankly weird "Daddy where did I come from" through to Little Arabella it's a hoot. The more Classical pieces such as the Intermezzo from the Karelia Suite and The Brandenburg Concertos is far more serious stuff. My version of this album also has America and Diamond Hard apples on it from the first album.
What really stands out for me is the Jazz/Classical switch over of this album and the standard of musicianship from Messrs Emerson Jackson and Davison. I saw them several times in the late 60's and was always totally in awe of Emerson's stage antics and the treatment of his organ a true showman! But it was not all show they really all could play having been session and backing musician in their previous lives, I suppose that's where they learnt to improvise.
I did not follow Emerson's career for very long after the demise of the Nice, the extravagance of ELP was a step too far for me and I guess I had outgrown them.
What, however, the Nice as a Band did for me was to introduce me at a very young age to two areas of music I knew virtually nothing about Classical and Jazz. I subsequently went on later totally inspired by this album to explore Jazz and Classical piano along with major works by Bach and Beethoven.
So to Mr Emerson, Mr Jackson and Mr Davison I say a resounding Thanks for introducing me to a new world of music!

4.0 out of 5 stars OK but time tells, 24 May 2013
This review is from: Ars Longa Vita Brevis (Audio CD)
An OK album but what seemed great in the 60/70's isn't quite as good 40 years on. Maybe it's me that has deteriorated!