5.0 out of 5 stars Staggering!, 11 Dec 2006
For the benefit of the unitiated, John Fahey recorded most of this either in the field or on his immediate return to civilisation in 1959-60!

Most of it was based on tunes he'd heard in his youth and the same sort of music he heard in America's deep South. Some traditional tunes are here, though the majority is his own work.

Steel, acoustic and 12-string guitars join banjo in the instruments John Fahey uses here. Everything sounds the same-and that's a good thing for once.

Why? Simply because everything sounds as good as the rest of it. Top quality playing throughout and an amazing variety of land, sound and folk scapes are drifted past you.

I first chanced on it with that green Transatlantic LP cover in 1968. It's never left my personal top 20 all-time best albums & doubtless never will.

It's time you either renewed acquaitance with an old friend, or find out just how good this is. Believe me, it's indispenable!

5.0 out of 5 stars the greatest accoustic music ever recorded, 20 Dec 2008
Mr. R. D. King "arch stanton" (crawley hellhole) - See all my reviews
this LP has been with me since the late 60s,and its beautful, pastoral blend of trad/folk/blues even almost classical at times is never anything less than magnificent.i think its the best john fahey LP and i love most all of them.it was background music at my wedding and when i finally turn up my toes,i want it played at my funeral.sometimes i think its my favourite album of all time,and believe me thats some claim from a music obsessive like me.

4.0 out of 5 stars fabulous to have it available on cd at last., 17 Mar 2001
I've been listening to this since I was 6 years old. And it's easy to learn! I have a copy of a vinyl recording which is close to crumbling away so I am chuffed to be able to hear it clearly! This is so relaxing and rates as one of my favourite albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars After all these years !, 17 Feb 2014
I first bought this record in the 60s and it is as fresh, imaginative and evocative as it was then. I consider it to be John Fahey's personal masterpiece. Oh, if only I could play like this

5.0 out of 5 stars Blind rating so to speak!, 20 Dec 2013
There was nothing to dislike about this order.
The delivery was prompt and the packaging appropriate.
The item appears to be in good order.
The CD was bought as a gift and hence has not been played - therefore blind to the eventual outcome of the "proof of the pudding…"

ARRAY(0x9e8deef4)