Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 December 2001
i can honestly say that this is one of my all time favourite albums and what makes it seem so much more fantastic is that i do not know ANYBODY else who has heard of Cotton Mather. I don't have the problem of friends irritatingly singing along or the usual 'who's the biggest fan' battle that accompanies well known music. My all time favourite song is 'she's only cool' yet you won't find it on any mix tape that i make for my friends. I feel like i have found a little piece of something fantastic and i do not want to share it. So pleeeeeeese, don't buy this cd!
on 4 November 2001
I've just got hold of this excellent album, and I can't seem to press stop on my CD player, instead listening to Kontiki in a continuous loop.
It's that good.
I was attracted by all the hype about the Beatle-ish qualities of the band, and while the influence is certainly recognisable ( the superb harmonies, and the lead vocal that is quite uncannily similar to John Lennon, with a bit of Bob Dylan thrown in for good measure), it's certainly not just a piece of nostalgia for fans of 60's music.
The songs are catchy, melodic, and imaginitive. Sure, comparisons to the Beatles are probably a little extreme - let's face it, nobody's ever going to get that close to perfection ever again - but if you want the Beatles re-interpreted for the 21st century, then this is as good as it gets.
I can't wait until their new album comes out in a few days time.
My advice - buy it now!!
on 5 November 2001
Don't be put off by the endless and lazy Beatles comparisons. If anything, take them to mean "thoughtfully crafted pop songs with lots of guitars and harmonies." The lo-fi stuff here a la GBV really suits the band. There are easily six or seven songs here that will get stuck in your head for months. I've had the pleasure of seeing CM in our shared hometown of Austin, TX, and it's dissapointing that they are less known there than they should be, despite 'My Before and After' getting some airplay. Would some young filmmaker please put a couple of these wonderful tunes in a big sucessful movie?
on 8 July 2000
This is the greatest unknown CD in the world...I buy five or six cds a week, and this one has been on my six-changers for the past nine months and is played every day, it's simply sensational! And I won't give you the c***about it being 'the album the Beatles would have made if...' - listen and judge for yourself! But it'll make you think JL lives...
on 3 January 2001
I bought this album from America before it was released on Rainbow Quartz here. I also had the pleasure of seeing the band in a small club. They were (and are) a breath of fresh air and I find it hard to believe that there aren't many people that have heard this wonderful music. Buy this album NOW!
on 20 November 2007
I confess that I went out and found everything I could find by this band. They are really good. Sadly they broke up about five years ago. However, the good news is that Robert Harrison has resurfaced under the name Future Clouds and Radar. Go seek them out!
on 12 September 2014