4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, idol! Catchy hooks, ahead of its time..., 19 Jan. 2006
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
This is by far the most underrated Billy Idol album out there. Probably only due to the fact that the sound was a bit 'different' at the time of the release. Sure, father of punk was trying to bring music to the next level by making this futuristic sounding record. Would've been easier to release today (if a bit of remixing / remastering was applied). This album was just ahead of its time sound wise, and that is the reason why it failed. And just like Idol said himself in an interview when commenting this: "They just won't let you make an alternative album". I agree with that; this was too alternative at the time. It probably still is, for most people.
However, if you manage to look beyond the sound barrier and consider the songs themselves you might as well discover that you will get carried away by some of the catchy pop / dance / rock / alternative hooks on this album. Some of the songs are really good, and that is the most essential thing.
Although I enjoy the coolness of the sound and find it refreshing, I don't expect everyone to do so. But please, at least, consider the songs. Turn up da volume, get a gin and tonic and rock da house!!! See you all in cyberspace. :)

5.0 out of 5 stars Powerful exploration of cyberpunk, 2 Jun. 2002
Lukas Mariman (Berchem, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
When in 1993 Billy Idol released his "Cyberpunk" album, it was met with, at best, mixed reviews. A real shame; perhaps it was simply ahead of its time. Not being an Idol fan when I first heard it, but being very interested in the cyberpunk phenomenon and SF in general, it quickly grew on me. "Cyberpunk" is an organic album, ranging from energetic rock to softer, more contemplative songs, effortlessly immersing the listener in an all too plausible near future ruled by mega-corporations and the struggle for survival in the industrial wastelands.
Maybe it is time for audiences and critics alike to rediscover Cyberpunk; maybe this time they'll be ready for it.

4.0 out of 5 stars A futuristic stomper, 13 Sept. 2002
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
It really is an under-rated album. To start with, this is NOT Billy Idol as you may know him, and yet it is. If y'ask me, it's a beautiful mix of rock ("Shock to the system", "Then the night comes"), dance/techno (the 'cover' of The Velvets' "Heroin", "Neuromancer"), soul ("Mother Dawn"), trance ("Adam In Chains") and experimenting with sound ("Venus"). The segues (bits between the songs) keep things interesting, and keep the concept(-album) together. I'm not much of a Billy Idol-fan, but whenever I *do* put it on, I listen to it from start to finish. And that is its strength.

4.0 out of 5 stars A grossly under-rated album, 6 May 2003
J. Armstrong "jarm" (UK, Cambridgeshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
Okay, maybe it's because Billy Idol has always been taken rather tongue in cheek by most people, maybe it's because it was released just as Cyberpunk was becoming unpopular, perhaps it's because Idol tried something different from his usual crop.
Whatever the reasons, Cyberpunk is a concept album that works, and they're aren't many that do, from start to finish you are hurtled into a variety of music styles, all capturing the essence of the Cyberpunk style. From rock to eletronic, the album has a little of everything.
It isn't perfect, Cher pops up for a song (which is never pleasent), but it's well produced, well written and pretty consistent.
Give it a go, you could do a lot worse.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most underrated album in the world...ever?, 8 Dec. 2003
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
ahhh, good old Billy Idol and the concept album no-one bought...
If you ask me, i'd rate this as one of the best albums in my collection. I bought it when i was too young to know what the term "concept album" meant, and to be honest, the reason why i bought it was 'cos I liked his older stuff and thought it'd be more of the same. Well, i was pleasantly surprised to find that this is a remarkable album; combining rock with electronica, (interesting) vocals and some really good instrumentals. The intros between the songs reinforce the concept. In one word-great. Admittedly, it's not for everyone. But, you can get it for a bargain price these days-buy it! Otherwise, you won't know what you've missed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Idol's best., 11 Jun. 2000
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
'Cyberpunk' is Billy Idol's forgotten masterpiece. A concept album based on William Gibson's 'Necromancer' sci-fi classic that is a mix of metal, dance, ambience and trance, all with Idol's unmistakeable vocal sneer. Mark Younger Smith pulls off a variety of great guitar parts that enhance the modern nature of this work.
Take a chance, you won't be disappointed,

5.0 out of 5 stars Billy Idol's tale, 15 Feb. 2007
Ederico Rocha (Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
I've liked Billy Idol's tongue in cheek punk rock since the 80's and his hits have always found a place in my list from time to time. However, I believe his "Cyberpunk" album to be his greatest achievement. It surrounds you in a cinematic environment through his different tunes. It's the only album I listen beginning to end. Whenever I listen to Shock to the System anywhere outside my playlist I fall off balance whenever Tomorrow People doesn't come next.

Billy's fan or not, if you enjoy pop rock, you'll enjoy this album, at least some of the tunes. It has something for everybody. If you even enjoy a coherent album telling a story over it's music, you'll find this is one of the pop albums ever made imho.

All in all I can never get enough of this album. When I'm exercising, when I need time alone, when I am on a rush, when I feel peace of mind, it pops on my player and I get off the "Wasteland".

5.0 out of 5 stars Way ahead of its TIME, 15 July 2009
Declan Byrne "Declan Byrne" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
I love this Cd its fantastic from beginning to end. Why it was slated I will never know. I think it may have been too far ahead of its time for some people to get it.
There should be a major re-release of this album now as I personally think its one of Billy's best
I'd say the critics who did slate it were the same critics who think Westlife are at the cutting edge of music (says it all)
Come on Idol fans lets push for a re-release.

5.0 out of 5 stars CyberBill, 19 Dec. 1999
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
The greatness of this album is almost lost by virtue of the fact that it is a massive departure from Bill's usual style and the fact that hardcore fans would tend to dismiss it as being "out of character" since it is a concept album.
At the time of release, the album was massively underplugged by the record company and suffered badly from lack of any hit singles.
The album covers a wide range of stlyes from the ballady "Love labours on" to the ambient masterpiece "Shangrilla". Ardent Bill fans will enjoy the more rocky mindscapes such as "Shock to the system" and "Power junkie".
I am not a huge fan of concept albums but Bill manages to pull this one off beautifully. This should have been the album to make people sit up and take notice of the talent us fans knew the man had all along. As it is, this jewel is just a well kept secret among those of us who appreciate good music when we hear it.

4.0 out of 5 stars What a weird album, 4 April 2015
Cereal Punk Austen (Tunbridge Wells, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyberpunk (Audio CD)
Being a Billy Idol fan I thought I'd buy a copy of this as I only knew Shock to The System and wanted to see why the album got such bad reviews, It's not a bad album to be honest but its very very different from his other stuff. I could see this being more popular now or even 5-10 years time than when it was released in 93 but yeah very werid album indeed. buy it while you can though because it's so hard to get hold of you can't even download it from iTunes

Cyberpunk
Cyberpunk by Billy Idol (Audio CD - 1998)