5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty
Published on 28 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Exotic
As for Sinead this album is odd. Yes, it's her singing, but it's not her style. If you are hardcore fan - get it. If you like the usual Sinead style - try it ;)
Published on 14 July 2009 by VdV

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, 28 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
It saddens me that some people completely missed the incredible uniqueness of this masterpiece. Her renditions are completely spot on. And although I'm a huge Sinatra fan (I have his complete catalogue) I find her versions even more heartfelt and beautiful than those by Ella Fitzgerald, Sinatra and their likes. Her singing is both fragile, intimate and at times even humorous. The blend of her unique phrasing and the lush arrangements by Phil Ramone is intriguing and thrilling - a feast for the ears. I find that this is her best vocal effort so far. On the strengh of this album alone she should be viewed as one of the very best female vocalists - if not the best - of the 20th century.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely different, 17 Feb 2011
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
This is the CD of cover version of the music She was brought up listening to, that is, her Mums favourites. So its an unusual out-of-time collection.

I love it. But its unusual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 14 July 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
An album of covers. This music is of a high quality - it will last. It is a mellow album mind, so be warned.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, 16 Jun 2014
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
If you like Sinead and Jazzy Blues, by this album. Very smooth and easy on the ears. Good for laid back times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brill, 13 Feb 2014
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
Cracking album full of high quality vocals and very strong musical arrangements. Would recommend if you like eclectic songs :)

3.0 out of 5 stars Exotic, 14 July 2009
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)

1.0 out of 5 stars what a disappointment, Why oh why do these great singers sell ..., 13 Aug 2014
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
Dearie me, what a disappointment, Why oh why do these great singers sell out by singing the great American songbook? The big band backing....no, its been done by everyone...Rod Stewart, George Michael, Michael Buble, even Robbie Williams. NO, no, no....there is only one track that i will play on this album...Scarlet Ribbons. I heard it on a soundtrack somewhere along the way and love it for its melancholy sound, otherwise sorry, not for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars AM I NOT YOUR GIRL?, 20 Jun 2009
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
I realy like this youg lady, excellent CD to have with aquite drink when relaxind.

4.0 out of 5 stars An interesting album, 25 Aug 2001
This review is from: Am I Not Your Girl (Audio CD)
We encounter an interesting departure by Sinéad in this album, being covers of some familiar and not so familiar old standards. The whole album is accompanied by a lush and well produced big band sound, and the recording offers great dynamics and high quality. However, these songs, plus the big band treatment, tend to make Sinéad's voice sound rather weak, and unfortunately the voice doesn't totally go with the songs. Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, and it's very interesting to hear her address a new area, but I really don't think she does herself or her voice any favours. Best tracks: Bewitched Bothered and Bewildered and Love Letters. Worst: Don't Cry for Me Argentina, as it's a virtually unchanged copy of Julie Covington's treatment thereof, but less good. Notwithstanding my negativity I'm giving the album 4 stars, partly because it's Sinéad, and partly because it does actually please me very much when I passively, not actively, listen to it.

Am I Not Your Girl
Am I Not Your Girl by Sinead O'Connor (Audio CD - 1993)