4.0 out of 5 stars Shame about the backing, 13 April 2009
This review is from: Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues (Audio CD)
I had high hopes for this release, because if ever anyone deserved to inherit the mantle of Lotte Lenya, it is Faithfull. The cracked, lived-in voice and the cracked, lived-in persona, are a perfect fit for the boozy, weary, cynical material of Brecht, Weill, Hollander and Coward on display here.

It is however let down by two things: first, Faithfull uses some truly awful new translations of Brecht by Frank McGuinness, a playwright with a tin ear when it comes to lyrics and verging on the nonsensical at times. It's a completely mystery why anyone needs to do that when Marc Blitzstein and Michael Feinstein have done such a fine job of the German and some of the French Material. (Shame she didn't have a translation of the Maurice Magre lyric 'Complainte de la Seine', a kind of 1930s Leonard Cohen number all about lovers' rings and cast-aside bouquets and aborted foetuses all ending up at the bottom of the river).

Second problem, the pianist. I'm not one to object to lack of a band or orchestra, but the pianist has to be special, a true accompanist, and it's the most difficult job in music. Paul Truelove is not the man for the job, a prissy academic pianist who follows every inflection the composer wrote in, and none that the singer gives in live performance. His embellishments are a distraction, and he embodies none of the good point of either classical music or jazz.

I hope Faithfull will come back to this material again and be guided by someone who knows the era and knows how to deliver it. This is just a tantalising glimpse of what might be possible.

5.0 out of 5 stars For those with taste and culture I'm afraid....., 21 Sep 2008
This review is from: 20th Century Blues (Audio CD)
Raspy Marianne Faithfully full blast into Kurt Weill's songs (and a couple of others..), not to everybody's taste (sadly), but MOST wonderful for connaisseurs.... Every song a gem, sung with such strength and feeling... Try it from the library first and decide for yourselves... I LOVE !!!! But then I'm French ! ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars yes I am happy, 18 Feb 2013
This review is from: Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues (Audio CD)
The product comes in the right time, Very good service. A personally Thing, Amazon.co.uk you have to pay resonable taxes in UK or elswhere or we have to find countryfrienlier dealers. These parasitarian manners don;t fit in our modern times

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent version of old caberet songs, 30 Sep 2013
M. Robinson (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues (Audio CD)
Age has giver her voice an edge to it and her interpretation of some old classics is excellent.

If you like this type of song, this CD is recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars If I could give this 6****** I would, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues (Audio CD)
Marianne just gets better and better. She is a real trooper and a fabulous poet and I hope she goes on for ever.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sultry Marianne!, 31 Aug 2011
This review is from: Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues (Audio CD)
Fine choice of material, richly evoking the decadence of pre-Nazi Berlin and the feklessnes of the Weimar Republic that allowed the rise of the vile Hitler and his odious gang of thugs. Mariannes whisky-soaked voice, redolent of many a seedy, smoke-filled basement bar suits this material to a "T". Her voice is not perfect, nor is her performance (it is live) but that just adds to the authenticity of the "voice" of the songwriters. If you like Kurt Weill, if you liked "Cabaret", if you love Marianne (and you have no soul if you don't) this is an absolute must.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, 24 Sep 2008
This review is from: Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues (Audio CD)
This is a live LP M/F sings accompanied by a piano and she sometimes talks to the audience who loudly clap as they do on live LPs. If I had known this was live I probably would not have bought it as I am not a fan of live ones. I realy like the LPs of her that I own but she does not have the greatest voice and as she is only accompanied by a piano the voice is centre stage. Also unfortunatly I am not a great fan of the piano.

I like most of the songs, I like her interpretation of the songs and her voice does go very well with some of the songs so all is not lost. I think if I had seen her perform this live I would have enjoyed it more than as an LP. I never keep anything I do not realy like they go to be part exed at the nearby music shop but the jury is still out on this one. I gave it 4 stars as the way stars are thrown around on Amazon 3 seems as if its mediocre and its not that, it may hit the right buttons with you.

Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues
Marianne Faithful: 20th-Century Blues by Kurt Weill (Audio CD - 2003)