Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£12.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 22 January 2004
Breathe is the quintesential Ure album. In fact, its more than that, its the pinacle of a writing talent, that casually slips from soulful dreaming to deep anxiety, and from romantic pourings to religious questioning. When I first heard 'Breathe', the title track, I honestly thought Midge had covered a Roy Orbison song. And that's meant as a huge compliment. It's a fantastic opening number that is so smoothe its like licking your favourite chocolate selection, only to find that your next choice is even better. Other great tracks include Fallen Angel, Live Forever and May Your Good Lord (which has a great drum backing). The whole album shows just how good Midge is at both lyrics and score composition. Its also a showcase for his vocal talents. Breathe takes you miles from the bouncy 'cold, cold heart' tunes to a very mature and hugely absorbing sound. It feels as though Midge spent along time searching for this album, then woke up one morning to find that he couldn't get it down on paper fast enough - with most albums there is always the 3 or 4 tracks you'll play and the rest fill the disc, but with this, I challenge you not to play the whole thing and then want to play the whole lot again, straight away. The only sad thing about it, is that Midge never had the success with the album here as he did across Europe. But then, its beauty can be our little secret!
on 1 April 2005
There was a long break between 'Pure' in 91 & the first release of Breathe in 96 (helped no end by the title track being used in a swatch advert 2 years later). Out go the electric guitars & heavy synths we all associate with Mr Ure (along with sideburns & dreadful moustache!) to be replaced by an array of celtic instruments & accoustic guitars. This mix along with Midge's voice & own special brand of melodies creates simply one of the best albums i have ever heard.
After a couple of listens you'll be hooked songs like 'Breathe' & 'Guns & Arrows' & Live Forever' evoke such emotion & depth they just HAVE to listened too, i mean REALLY listened too. Even 'Sinner man' (not one of my favourite tracks) is so damn catchy i still find myself singing it now some days!
I really felt Midge found his new self with this album, i was disappointed to find when he eventually followed up Breathe with his next album 'Move me' he returned to the electric guitars & synths & despite some good songs it all sounded a bit stale.
End of the day who am i to question a legend in the music biz over the past 30 years? but i have no doubt Midge is as good a songwriter & story teller today, as he was in his commercial hey day, if not better, PLEASE Midge, next album should there be one, return to your celtic roots & give us another album like this. This album is a cracker & who ever i play it too generally agrees with me. I cannot recommend this album highly enough.
Mark
on 27 April 2006
I'm a big Midge Ure fan and this album is certainly one of his best. Stand out tracks for me are : the title track, Guns & Arrows, Live Forever & Lay My Body Down.

Buy this and then get 'Move Me' (if you can as it is hard to find). I loved Breathe but Move Me just about topped it.

Great music - spread the word.
on 6 November 2015
So pleasantly surprised, for an 'unsuccessful' album, the Breathe Again tour opened my eyes and ears. Midge Ure is a master craftsman of popular music, to label it 'pop' would to do it a disservice. It has been constantly on the CD player so much that I haven't had a chance to put it on the iPod yet. Don't think there is a duff track amongst the gems. The only disappointment is that I didn't discover this hidden gem the first time around. Enough of the gushing praise it's Friday night and have just opened the second bottle of prosecco for a night in with my wife 'breathe' is the soundtrack to preparing a delicious meal. Cheers Mr Ure and long may you continue.
on 13 January 2009
This is another of those rare albums that for me only Midge can produce ie where you instantly love every single song and play it over and over again! I have been so inspired by this album and its hard to single songs out as favourites when you love all of them but the most moving has to be the amazing and spine tingling 'Breathe'.....that song touches my soul on so many levels.

Midge is an outstandingly gifted songwriter, musician, singer and performer.....the best there is and this album reflects that. What an amazing voice!
on 14 February 2001
Breathe is an untypically Midge album. It has hints of U-Vox (Ultravox's last album, nicknamed U-Pox by fans). Midge seems to be "going back to his roots" with this album, that was totally ignored by the British music buyers, but was a mega hit in other countries such as Germany The tracks that stand out for me are the title track (that was used for a Swatch ad), Guns & Arrows (a typical Midge song about love) and The Maker (a typical Midge somg about death) Midge's latest album "Move Me" is going to be released pretty soon - so let's hope that Mr Ure will back back on the top spot where he belongs!
on 11 May 2015