Format: Audio CDChange

on 30 September 2014
I spent a long time wondering which version of the Four Last Songs to buy, having particularly studied the detailed review of 20+ versions on the Internet in "Curmudgeon's Corner" (which is pretty negative about most of them, and gives only limited praise at best), plus any other reviews I could find, and listened to some extracts on line.

I was also aware of the very high reputation of the Jessye Norman/Kurt Masur/Leipsig Gewandhaus recording, from which I already had the last song (Im Abendrot) in a compilation CD, and no doubt that will remain a favourite for most people.

Having plumped for this version, however, and given that most of Curmudgeon's comments, though often amusing if spiteful, are well beyond my recognising in the music, I do find Arleen Auger and Andre Previn have put together a beautiful, gentle rendition that captures the moods I believe were intended.

The last few bars of Im Abentrot in the Jessye Norman version remains unforgettable for me, as they seems to be given even longer to fade away on a final puff of air, but the violin solo in the third song (Beim Schlafengehen) from Previn and the Vienna PO is sublime, and the whole piece goes together well.
on 22 February 2014
I have many recordings of the Four Last but this version by Previn and Auger was new to me and I found it a very nice surprise. I wouldn't rate it as one of the great performances of these beautiful songs but it certainly deserves more attention. Auger has a clear soprano that rises to the breath and diction challenges of the songs. Previn a sensitive conductor and at home with Strauss.
Ein Heldenleben wonderfully played by the Vienna Phil.
on 10 February 2013
This was bought as a Christmas Present and the recipient was very happy with the CD so it has met the requirements

Many thanks