Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 May 2009
Someone wrote somewhere about Bunny Gets Paid that it either changes your life or leaves you cold. Well I have listened to it several times now and my life hasn't altered one iota so that pretty much nails which camp I fall into . The annoying thing is I thought, reading various reviews , I would love this album but unfortunately it does leave me cold......very cold as it happens.
I was half expecting a rock album to rival Nirvana'sNevermind or Pearl JamsTen- a rollicking up-front rock behemoth with titanic songs belting of the speakers in an anthemic surge of crashing chords and chrome coated choruses. Bunny Gets Paid is about as far from that as a rock album can get in fact. Rather than celebrate the unrestrained joys of rocks traditional possibilities it deconstructs rock structures with slow downed blues-jams, murky textural manipulations and deliberately hard braking sonic exploration. This is an approach to be admired but the end result , even with this re-mastered album, is an album where everything is coated in a miasma of grimy static and epidermal dissonance. Not that this should be a particular problem if the songs were strong enough to carry the cacophonous baggage but they just aren't.
So instead of an intense off-kilter classic like Slints Spiderland or a wracked genre bending masterpiece like Codeines Frigid Stars Red Red Meat delivers a croaky amalgamation of American Music Club twined with Green On Red but nowhere near as good as either. There is pleasure to be had in some of the guitar textures and the occasional song like "Chain Chain " locks itself in a solid scabrous groove but others like "Rosewood, Wax, Voltz + Glitter" are just a complete mess. Others like "Variations On Nadia's Theme" just shuffle listlessly by . The cracked tones of "Buttered " with the pulchritude inserts of strings give frustrating hints that this could have been an album to go along side Rex,sC as a magnificent piece of classical rock.
I always find it exasperating when an album I expected to like and admire just doesn't connect. I felt piqued that an album that receives such glowing praise had slipped under my radar on it's original release in 1996 but hearing it now I do wonder what all the fuss is about. Their shambolically twisted version of A Flock Of Seagulls Wishing (If I Had A Photograph Of You) on the bonus disc gives a broad hint at what a pleasure Bunny Gets Paid could have been given better songs but for the most part this is an album distinctly underdone.
on 14 August 2009
Red Red Meat were one of these sickeningly unsuccessful bands that had such depth & originality - they're long gone so all we can do is share this by getting some of the back-catalogue and uploading it all onto the torrent websites and giving the band at least some small recognition outside of your average indie store.