5.0 out of 5 stars A chic example of close harmony singing
Published on 1 Sep 2001 by chachadamour

1.0 out of 5 stars Man Tran
I'd never heard of Manhattan Transfer, other than hearing Chanson D'Amour on radio in the early/mid-70's. Other than that - Nothing.
Then one Sunday, Noel Edmonds - who I think was ending his Sunday morning radio show to start a weekday slot (I think the Breakfast show, succeeding Tony Blackburn).
Noel's parting words were something to the effect that we (his...
Published on 29 Mar 2006 by johnmoran24

5.0 out of 5 stars A chic example of close harmony singing, 1 Sep 2001
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
Like many other reviewers of Manhattan Transfer, I bought this album when I was a teenager interesting in investigating "different" types of music. I originally bought this album on vinyl in a sale (I was unsure about it as I thought this sort of music was intended for my parents). I couldn't have been more wrong! I was completely knocked out by the fresh arrangements of old songs and fab singing of the group. What was an unintentional purchase became one of my most prized possessions. Now it is re-released on CD I can once again enjoy the chic close harmony of the 70s which doesn't actually sound at all dated - and of how many types of the music from the 70s (with the possible exception of disco) can that be said? Buy! You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars MANHATTAN TRANSFERS WELL ONTO CD, 28 Jun 2007
Gerald Reek "GOLDEN OLDIE" (STOCKPORT, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
I originally purchased this recording when it was first released on vinyl.

After seeing it offered at a bargain price on Amazon, I have re-bought it on CD.

It transfers superbly which is not a surprise really as the vinyl recordings were very well produced with excellent sound quality.

This type of music never seems to date and, after not listening to Manhattan Transfer of late, I am enjoying them all over again.

Great listening.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical Manhattan`s, 5 Jan 2009
Mr. A. Craddock "T.C." (Middleton Manchester u.k.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
Manhattan Transfer created their very own niche in the late seventies and Pastiche emphasises this. As all the previous reviewers have pointed out this really is a stand out album. I never tire of the outstanding singles Walk in love & Who, what, when ,where ,why. However,every track is a gem and because of the class of the band you really cannot fail by purchasing any album by this magical outfit. Pastiche though is one of those albums everyone should own up with Marvin Gaye`s What`s going on , Beach boys Pet sounds Beatles Pepper , you get the drift now go get it you will not regret it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Manhattan Transfer - a great act!, 1 Dec 2008
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
1978 was by far 'Manhattan Transfer's' most successful year chart-wise. Despite rocketing to number one with the classic 'Chansons D'amour' a year earlier, it was 1978 that gave them the most hits. Unfortunately for them, this would also be a year that had all sorts of problems due to the tremendously high sales of the 7" single never before seen which caused all sorts of manufacturing problems and the demand for vinyl! This made it almost impossible for their two major hits of that year to enter the top ten due to such terribly high competition - even well-established chart acts were having major problems. However, 'On A Little Street In Singapore' spent no less than three weeks at number 20 - perhaps not sounding so impressive, but in a year when sales were so high, sales-wise, this was equivalent to a hit making the top five just six months earlier - or six months later!

This album included no less than three hits: the aforementioned, and including the beautifully haunting 'Walk In Love' and 'Who, What, Where, When, Why'.

The album was originally released in brilliant orange vinyl as a 'Limited Edition' - a 'push' I might add that indeed was not necessary, however, it made it a collectible Item which goes for a considerable sum today.

Eleven great tracks on this, including the wonderfully melancholic: 'Je Voulais (Te Dire Que Je T'Attends), which I believe, had they issued this as a single, would have most definitely given the group their second chart topper!

A great act.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Style Personified !, 28 April 2010
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
Here is a Gem of an album. The group Manhatten Transfer quite unique in their sound even in their hey day and now no less so. These four professionals, all with exceptional voices epitomise a style all their own which serves to make it one as magical to listen to now as it was to do so when they were global chart toppers !

5.0 out of 5 stars pastiche, 28 Feb 2009
Michael Collins (colchester U.K) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
good music, well recorded well performed been playing it for donky's years, wore out the old tape and LP !!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Nostalgia, 7 Mar 2014
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
Having owned the vinyl version of this since release (but not listened in 30+ years), the arrival of this cd was like bumping into a long lost friend - fantastic content and the suppliers excelled themselves - the item arrived withing days, v well-packaged & inperfect condition. Many Thanks!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
I have this in my vinyl collection but no longer have a record player, so decided to buy a digital version. I haven't heard this album for a very long time, but it is still as good as I remember it. It brought back many fond memories, and has become a firm favourite on my ipod.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 27 July 2013
Mrs. Km Eke - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
Great . Have looking for this for a while and also found that it was a very reasonable price and well packaged.

4.0 out of 5 stars gOOD vOCALS, 23 July 2013
This review is from: Pastiche (Audio CD)
Enjoyed catching up with this old late 70s stuff. Memories of a night club trip to Merthyr Tydfil in 1977!

Pastiche
Pastiche by The Manhattan Transfer (Audio CD - 1995)