5.0 out of 5 stars Simon, 5 Jan. 2007
This review is from: Christmas Fanfare (Prince Of Wales Brass) (Audio CD)
This has to be without doubt now one of favourite Christmas albums. I have to admit that there's nothing worse over Christmas than hearing the same old Christmas songs seemingly being played on a perpetual loop in card shops and on TV adverts. I therefore decided to be different and buy some brass music which harks back to traditional festive period without all of the modern commercial hype.

What makes this a great album is that there are only a small number of musicians rather than a large Grimethorp-style ensemble. This makes the recording and arrangements sound fresh and inventive. Most of the tunes have been arranged by members of the band and in most cases improve upon the traditional arrangements which we are used to hearing.

I suppose I knew it was a good album when everyone who came to my house for Christmas dinner asked what the music was in the background as it made them feel more Christmassy than at any other time over the period.

With Superb arrangements and with gifted musicians this is a must have album whether you're a brass lover or not.

4.0 out of 5 stars very good - but not quite what I expected, 31 Jan. 2012
Mark (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Christmas Fanfare (Prince Of Wales Brass) (Audio CD)
I'd heard (on Classic FM) the track from this album 'Santa Claus is coming to town', and I particularly liked it and decided to try and get a copy. After a bit of searching (It took some tracking down!) I found the album and ordered it. The arrangement of this particular track appeals to me: It's done in a witty, quite whistful style (some might say a bit twee) but I really like it. I had hoped that the other tracks would be similarly original and fun - but they're not. Having said that, I still like the album. Its full of Christmas favourites and as an alternative the the... erm.... usual ubiquitous fare that pervades almost evrywhere at this time of year, its refreshingly different. Some of the other tracks don't quite have the inherent sense of frivolity that 'santa Claus..' has, but they're still excellent arrangements, well played and well recorded and most of all - and at the risk of labouring the point - different.

Christmas Fanfare (Prince Of Wales Brass)
Christmas Fanfare (Prince Of Wales Brass) by Arcangelo Corelli (Audio CD - 2001)