Format: Audio CDChange

on 4 July 2014
A beautiful piece of music, anything by Emma Kirkby is worth listening to
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 September 2000
Whilst this recording may not have precipitated the Hildegard revival (that had probably already started following increased scholarly and other interest in her music, philosophies and scientific writing especially in the US) it certainly helped its momentum. The ethereal quality of the recording and exquisite performances from all the singers and musicians also makes this a contender for one of the first ambient music/early music crossovers which has proved so lucrative for various monastic orders (and, probably, spawned the Mediaeval Baebes!). Whilst Emma Kirkby is, indeed, on top form (the music sits right inside the comfortable area of her range unlike some of her less happy excursions into, say, Mozart)the star of this is probably Margaret Philpot whose rich, vibrato-less alto has been such a feature of the very best early music groups as far back as David Munrow. Sterling support from Emily van Evera and other Consort of Musicke regulars makes this a truly remarkable recording.
0Comment9 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 January 2013
Just being cheeky - soaring and precise music - I am no expert so will not presume to critique the musicians - only say this makes me feel the opposite of soporifically soothed ... it is the serenity of exquisite and sublime appreciation this injects into the soul.
on 4 February 2016
Beautiful recording.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 March 2013
Hildegards music lifts me up, Again another wonderful tool for meditation & deep relaxation, essential in a very stresssful world. Would recomment this to anyone.
0Comment2 of 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 8 October 2012
I bought this because I saw it described somewhere as "Mediaeval Space Music" and thought I'd gotta gets me some of that.

I hope that phrase doesn't irk the purists. I know it sounds flippant and I admit to knowing almost nothing about Early Music but, in my defence, m'lud, I think this music is astonishingly beautiful and like nothing I've heard before. The variety is remarkable - another, far better-informed, reviewer has pointed out how many different combinations of voices and instruments you can find on this album, and there's certainly MUCH more variety, within the overall style here, than you'd get within the overall style of yer average rock or pop album.

Some people seem to think it's good "chill-out" music. If that works for them, that's fine, but as a description, it sells it short, as there's too much genuine passion, musical interest and spirituality here to make it the audio equivalent of a nice warm bath. In its beauty and cosmic spiritualty it reminds me of "Jenseits" from "Join Inn" by Ash Ra Tempel. So did Hildegard von Bingen invent the ethereal side of Krautrock? Well, of course not, but it may give some pointers to people coming to this music who aren't from either the Early Music or the Chill Out crowds.

Mediaeval Space Music? Yeah, actually, that will do fine.
0Comment4 of 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 17 March 2015
This is an amazing work - Now that I have finally got this in my collection, I can enjoy her soothing meditative style all the more. Her music is so profund even after all these centuries - Do youself a favour, buy it!
on 13 June 2013
This is a truly special recording of music that inspires and transports. Bingen's work is simple and profound, I am very glad to have discovered it.
on 1 July 2014
This is a truly beautiful masterpiece. So relaxing, so peaceful. Just put it on and close your eyes. I get tingles!
on 21 June 2013
The singing is superb, plainsong which I love. I would recommend this to anyone who is musical and Catholic who likes baroque and something rather different.

0Comment2 of 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse